Glass jar garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is great ChanellG, thank you for sharing. It's very convenient, I think I should make something like this for my roses. During winter they don't need too much water but when it's warmer, they drink a lot and I'm always scared that their soil is maybe too dry.

Reaction score
This looks so interesting:

Unusual-glass-plant-light-by-Miriam-Aust-Vase-Leuchte.jpg

That is very interesting Claudine, I wonder where we could find something like this? Have any idea? The roots from plants grown in water grow super-fast. I have a few that I am rooting and two of them sit on my desk. Almost daily, especially the philodendron that I'm rooting, I notice the roots have grown. I have 2-3 different types of philodendron in the same plastic, see-through container and if I watch it long enough (maybe 10-15 minutes), I'll actually see the roots move (grow) right before my eyes. I don't just sit an stare at it, but I have seen the roots growing from time to time, just as I've seen a few of my plants grow. I'm sitting in my den watching TV, and my favorite recliner sits slightly behind a large tri-color dracaena; I've seen the leaves move on a number of occasions. There is no wind, the ceiling fan is not on, one leaf will clearly move. Either it's growing, or I'm getting a message from a departed loved one (sorry, don't mean to trip anyone out) ..

Reaction score
Claudine, there are a few different ways, but here's one:

container-self-watering-bottle.jpg

I have seen some other images where the bottle is down in the container in the soil so that when you water the plant, you put the water into the bottle and it seeps out.
Channel That is what I always do when I travel out of the city.. fill a bottle of water pierce a tiny hole in the cap.. screw the cap on and trust the bottle deep into the container ... this keeps my plants from drying out for three to four days. I have to use two liter bottle if I am going to be away for a week. I saw my friend doing this and started doing it for my plants. In summer we have bottles stuck in all our containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks, Maddie, I have been wondering about that since I now am away at least 2 days each week most times. I'm not too keen having on the plastic down in the soil so I have been looking into alternatives.

I couldn't find my spray bottle recently and used the pierced cap drip method to treat insects on the buds of my hibiscus. I found I needed a second hole for the drip to stay continuous, but it worked!

Reaction score
Thanks, Maddie, I have been wondering about that since I now am away at least 2 days each week most times. I'm not too keen having on the plastic down in the soil so I have been looking into alternatives.

I couldn't find my spray bottle recently and used the pierced cap drip method to treat insects on the buds of my hibiscus. I found I needed a second hole for the drip to stay continuous, but it worked!

You could use a glass bottle with a cork after making a hole in the middle .. or a metal cap for drip irrigation if you are concerned about plastic being in the soil...
I leave 1ltr bottles of water and when I come back after a holiday my plants look fresh and good even though it is blazing outside.
I have a few bottles which have metal cones fixed to the opening as the containers are really small. These metal cones are made from the lids of cans... and fixed onto glass bottles.. I keep experimenting with stuff... this also works well for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, I like the idea of a glass bottle with a cork stuck in. I'm going to have to look into that! I have plenty of corks and there's no glass bottle recycling here so that would be great if I could use the bottles to water my plants.

I also wanted to tell you my hibiscus is about to bloom, and of course the temperature is supposed to drop into the 50s tomorrow!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is so cute! Thanks for sharing it! Claudine is going to love this! I'll bet Maddie is going to try and figure out how to create a space for one of these, lol! I am on restriction until I get that shelf up under the window ledge, but this is a great idea! I'll have to show this to my mom because her cats have started attacking her indoor plants.

Reaction score
Glass jars sound like a great idea. And it's great for the environment. I find that I need a hole in the bottom of my planting container to let excess water drip out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
With the jars you put drainage materials at the bottom and only give the plant as much water as needed to keep the soil moist. Since glass is see through would know if there was too much moisture in the jar, unlike a flower pot where you have to stick your finger in the soil to see how dry or moist it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love these Terrarium Gardens, they look wonderful, I want them in my room!

gasl_terrarium_10.jpeg

terrarium.JPG

This one is the most beautiful:

yhst-53777107109672_2111_39427039.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
These are awesome, Claudine! I finally found the jars I was looking for that I want to use to start my glass jar garden, but I am concerned they may be a little too small since I need room for the drainage material at the bottom as well as the soil and roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How small are they? Maybe you could grow some very small plants inside? I think it would look lovely.
I plan to do something like this:

terrarium-tutorial-1024x682.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
They are fairly small, maybe four or five inches tall. Certainly not the height of the mason jars pictured above. I'm sure I could use one for the scallions, they seem to do best just sitting in a bit of water. I'll figure something out for them eventually, if only storage use.

Reaction score
These glass jar garden look so pretty.. :)

@ chanell, You haven't posted a picture of your hibiscus in bloom.. I am waiting for mine to grow.. I have to cut them back a lot due to the mealy bug infestation. I don't to have my other plants dying out...
My hibiscus is a lovely yellow and I can't wait for it to put out buds :)

Ask a Question