Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
But not Windows 8.1 :D

DSCN0964.JPG

DSCN0965.JPG

Scribe the bit you want to cut out and then make some cross hatchings on the waste bit,

DSCN0966.JPG

Nibble it back with Grosing pliers
DSCN0967.JPG

DSCN0969.JPG

Cut the lead cames to length, use tallow as a flux and then solder.

DSCN0970.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lovely! I especially like the circle in the square. Don't you wear gloves? It seems that nibbling the glass with the pliers would generate a lot of slivers, which in turn could generate a lot of small cuts. (We don't need you having such sore fingers that you can't post for a bit!).

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Only cut meself once so far :D

Important to keep sweeping up though, the fragments could damage the work(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Impressive! ! Are you going to use some of your restoration works as inspiration? You must see a lot of fantastic workmanship from long dead artisans.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Impressive! ! Are you going to use some of your restoration works as inspiration? You must see a lot of fantastic workmanship from long dead artisans.

Theres a window in Ilminster Minster that has a name scratched in one of the paynes, can't remember what the name was but say it was John Smith, builder.

Time he'd got to the other side of the window with it's hundreds of separate peices he signed it John Smith, Glazier :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Nice work my friend. (y)

My niece works with stained glass, it is amazing to see the all the beautiful art that can be created through this medium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That looks like a lot of fun Zigs, and what a way to make some functional art! Do you weld all of the glass pieces together? The reason I ask is because they have glue stuff out now that makes it look like welded metal without all the work, so I was just curious if you took the traditional route?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That is no ordinary hardware store glass. What is it called?

Just some old glass I had lying about in the shed, can't remember where its from.

When I need some more i'm gonna get Polish Greenhouse glass, thats more like the old draw glass with undulations and bubbles.

That looks like a lot of fun Zigs, and what a way to make some functional art! Do you weld all of the glass pieces together? The reason I ask is because they have glue stuff out now that makes it look like welded metal without all the work, so I was just curious if you took the traditional route?

It is fun Rosy :)

I do know about chemical metal, but with the cost and the time it takes to go off, it's cheaper and quicker to solder it, the solder sets in seconds :)

Got to look into non toxic ways of joining glass, would like to make some repro victorian cloches, but can't use lead on the veg garden.

Like this one

Ask a Question