Glass jar garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Came across this great idea for growing herbs indoors. It uses mason jars or any other glass jars you have on hand. It's not only attractive, it's a great way to reuse and recycle.

herb-jar-ccflcr-B-Zedan.jpg

Here's the link: http://www.organicauthority.com/organic-gardening/one-glassy-garden-growing-herbs-in-mason-jars.html

Reaction score
You should try it... the plants need less watering and attention. :) you may like it. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I definitely plan to. I have some jelly jars tucked away someplace, if I haven't gotten rid of them, that would be ideal to start with. I don't purchase much in jars or even cans so I will have to ask friends to save some for me. I have some little spice jars that may work temporarily, I just have to decide what I will put in the bottoms for drainage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is a great tip. I've been growing my herbs in plastic yogurt containers - they're convenient but also extremely ugly. Glass jars will look so much better!:D

Reaction score
Great idea for growing herbs indoors. If you want to take it a step further, and make all your jars or glasses look a little better (I'm all for aesthetic beauty to go with indoor and outdoor gardening), most dollar stores and walmart, sell really inexpensive glass vases and jars that are really neat. What I do is buy a decent size glass container for $2-$3 bucks, buy a bag of decorative rocks, $1 buck, mix in some soil, then add pretty much whatever type of plant you want. After the plant has grown in the jar for awhile, you will begin to see the roots pressed against the inside of the jar or glass..

Here are a couple of my jar plants: Image 1 .. Image 2..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Claudine, they also won't leach nasty chemicals the way the yogurt containers will.

@Task, that is exactly my plan! I have marbles, but I have used them for dyeing fabric and I don't want to take any chances with possible residue. Plus I think the little colored glass pebbles might look nice.

I plan to use soil for all my herbs but if I was looking at the right photos, your philodendron looks great in that vase! I would be concerned about growing in water indoors, because of mosquitoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've read your posts and now I'm definitely going to buy glass jars or vases. So excited! Thank you for inspiration. ChanellG, you are so right about these chemicals, it's better to avoid them as much as possible.
These look so pretty:

flower,glass,interior,design,nature,plants,wood-47d39c484bd97e6a5f657b94d4bbfcbe_h.jpg

herbsonwindow.jpg

Reaction score
I have devils ivy growing in glass jars of water..these grace my bedside table. I think I will try this with English ivy... I have a whole lot of herbs growing in them.. I have just used gravel at the bottom as these are tucked away in a wooden container to prevent them from falling down and hurting someone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Maddie, do you have any soil in them as well, or just gravel?

@Claudine, those images are great! Love the board with the mounted jars!

I may just bypass the jars altogether and use simple vases. As Taskeinc said, those are readily found at the dollar store. I have a tall cylinder right now with some cuttings from my outdoor plants sitting in water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, I'm sure simple vases will look as pretty as jars. I have a lot of jars in my basement so I think I'll just use them.
This looks so interesting:

Unusual-glass-plant-light-by-Miriam-Aust-Vase-Leuchte.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChanellG, I'm sure simple vases will look as pretty as jars. I have a lot of jars in my basement so I think I'll just use them.

I almost never buy foods in glass jars so vases will have to do. I love the image of the converted bottles you posted. I've only seen them this way:
images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I almost never buy foods in glass jars so vases will have to do. I love the image of the converted bottles you posted. I've only seen them this way:
images

This is very pretty too! I prefer glass without any color but I must say that this green glass looks really nice:D
I'm pretty sure jars from my basement belonged to my grandmother, they're really old but I love old things:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think dark colored glass might help protect the roots since my glass garden will be sitting on the window sill. I go through a lot of bottles so if I could find a good cutter I could easily make hydroponic and self watering planters from them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think dark colored glass might help protect the roots since my glass garden will be sitting on the window sill. I go through a lot of bottles so if I could find a good cutter I could easily make hydroponic and self watering planters from them.

Self watering planters? This sounds interesting! How will you make them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, there are a few different ways, but here's one:

container-self-watering-bottle.jpg

I have seen some other images where the bottle is down in the container in the soil so that when you water the plant, you put the water into the bottle and it seeps out.

Ask a Question