Monsanto lobbyist refuses to drink a glass of Roundup

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
At an interview in France, Dr. Patrick Moore, a Canadian lobbyist that used to work for Greenpeace in the 70's but works for Monsanto now, refused to drink a glass of water with glyphosate in it. Glyphosate is the main ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup.

During the interview he said that it's completely safe, and you could drink a liter of it and it wouldn't hurt you, but he refused to drink it.

"I'd be happy to (drink it) actually. Not really, but I know it wouldn't hurt me, I'm not stupid," Dr Moore says.

"So, it's dangerous, right?" the interviewer responds.

"No, people try to commit suicide all the time but they fail fairly regularly," Dr Moore replies, while nervously glancing at the camera.

"It's not dangerous to humans, no."

He continues to refuse the interviewer's offer to drink a glass of the contaminated water, before abruptly ending the interview.

"You're a complete jerk," Dr Moore says as he starts to storm out of the room.

"Yeah, that's a good way to solve things," the interviewer sarcastically replies.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...n-despite-saying-its-safe#QMOcvvpQ0phXwA0q.99

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I beg to differ. If the human population continues to expand exponentially, and it seems that it does and will, traditional methods of farming could not supply enough food to feed us all.
It is one thing for us small gardeners, farmers, niche food suppliers to rely on organic, semi-organic, and traditional methods. It is another for a farmer who supports his family and relies on his crops for income, and as a by-product, feeds several hundred people.
Monsanto employees are not "evil"--they are doing the job they were hired to do. I'm sure there are many people who will not work for chemical, oil, pharmaceutical companies because the company goals do not meet their moral standards.
I garden organically, we keep bees, and our hens are not fed anything I wouldn't eat (except bugs) but that is our way, it is not a religion and not something I would impose on anyone else if they choose to do otherwise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
That's a bad bunch of folks there :(

Actually, I was talking about the company. Not the people who work there. Although I'm sure if they knew all the harm some of those chemicals do they'd probably find something else to do. I garden organically too but that's just my choice. I'm sort of a by-product of what chemicals can do to someone. Just read some of my posts. :rolleyes: And that's just one company there are others but this one was mentioned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I disagree. In my opinion, Monsanto is pure corporate evil. If something is bad for the environment and people get cancer from using it or from eating GMO's with glyphosate in them, the product should be banned, like it has been in many countries already.

Monsanto created agent orange, poisoned a whole town knowingly, because they couldn't afford to lose one single dollar, hid the information from the government, and when the government found out, instead of siding with the people that were dying because of Monsanto, they sided with Monsanto. I think that's pretty evil.

A company that knowingly and willingly poisons human beings because of the almighty dollar is not OK in my book.

A company that promises great crops in exchange for signing with Monsanto, yet the crops are worse every year, and the Indian farmers can't afford to get out of the contract with Monsanto -- and there are a number of suicides as a result -- is evil.

And how about all the organic and/or semi-organic farmers who live next to somebody who raises GMO crops? Their own crops are affected by the overspray of Roundup on the farm next door, and they lose their own crop. Has Monsanto the right to poison their lands? Or, has Monsanto the right to sue farmers because their organic crops got contaminated with the neighbors' GMO crops? If you paint your house one day, and because of the wind or whatever, you accidentally spray your neighbor's house, too, do you have the right to sue your neighbor because he's using your paint? I would say "no", I would say the neighbor should be able to sue you because you damaged his property...but with Monsanto, laws just don't seem to apply...except those laws made by politicians purchased by Monsanto for their own benefit.

They want to be able to sue whole countries for not letting them use GMO crops or glyphosates there, and that just doesn't make sense. Talk about impositions, I believe Monsanto is imposing death on the whole planet. And there's nothing the honest folk can do about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why would he not drink the water if it was so safe that it would not hurt him, that is very telling if you ask me! I recently watched an episode of the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and he had Bill Gates on as his guest. They were discussing Gates support of a water purification system that is being used in Africa to turn sewage water into clean drinking water. Gates stood behind the technology so much that he and Fallon actually drank a glass of the water. Such respectable and brave people. At least they were willing to do it, and there were plenty of poo jokes to be had.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Most people know how I feel about Roundup, and even about reaching for a chemical spray as a solution to an urban yard issue in general. I realize that farms need something effective on a large scale, but the world needs to be as toxin free as possible. If something has been banned in some countries, that should say something about the impact it has even, and especially, if that impact takes place over the long term.

I can't discourage people from buying Roundup at work, but I don't encourage it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chanel, my guess is that you would get in trouble for discouraging people from buying a product at your work. They have to make a profit somehow, even if it is at the environments expense. You can take comfort in knowing that I won't buy it! I like to go the all natural route as well.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Earth doesn't exist just to be poisoned by its inhabitants because of greed. That's only one example of how we're destroying the earth, too.

I expect a very dark future for this planet. Sure, we may not be around to see how bad it gets, but we will be a large contributor to it. It's quite sad when you realize the earth has existed for around 3 billion years and most of the damage caused to it has happened in just the last 100 years. It took 100 short years to destroy something that was 3 billion years in the making. That destruction will only happen quicker in the future. I imagine the quality of life on this planet will eventually be so awful that war would seem like paradise in comparison. If that's not frightening, I don't know what is.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I see people routinely use something like Roundup on their yards, when it's just as effective to reach down and pull the weed. It never fails to amaze me how lazy we, as a society, have gotten when it comes to things like this.

Last summer, I was out walking around the neighborhood and I noticed a new neighbor spraying something on his gravel driveway. I could tell it wasn't Roundup or something like that. So we stopped and asked him what it was - his response - diesel fuel!! Yikes :eek: Sure enough, it killed all the vegetation growing in his driveway, but it makes you wonder what else it does. And he has a little 2 or 3 year old girl who plays in the yard and driveway!

Ask a Question