Glass geodesic domes

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hi there,
My name is Remi and i build glass and metal geodesic domes.
I'll post a few pictures with my first dome :
glass-geodesic-dome-11.jpg

glass-geodesic-dome-7.jpg

glass-geodesic-dome-22.jpg

glass-geodesic-dome-1.jpg

For the people that haven't heard much about geodesic domes, here are a few fun facts :

1. Domes are the strongest human shelter ever conceived. The even distribution of weight is how domes efficiently distribute stress along the entire structure.
2. They are the world's highest earthquake resistant structures. And they dont require any interior load bearing walls.
3. Domes are aerodynamic. They can withstand hurricane winds of even 320 km/h.
4. Domes are the most efficient structures known to man, covering the most living area with the least amount of surface area.
5. Because of the high volume-to-surface-area ratio domes have at least 30% less surface area than other shaped buildings. That means it takes at least 30% less energy to heat or cool them.
6. The spherical design results in highly efficient and effective air circulation. The ambient airflow inside the dome is continuous, with no stagnant corners, requiring less energy to circulate air and maintain even temperatures.
7. They mirror the suns path thus maximizing solar gain all day, all year.
8. Some of the largest buildings in the world are domes; London’s millennium dome and the Eden domes were record breakers when they were built. The Miyazaki Ocean Dome in Japan is known as the world's largest indoor water park (300m-100m-38m).
9. Domes use much less materials than conventional buildings and still outperform them in structural tests.
10. The larger the dome, the more efficient it becomes. This is demonstrated by doubling the diameter, which encloses eight times the volume.

I don't know if i'm allowed to post my website link, so moderators please let me know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very nice, and interesting information. Do you build them just for gardening, or for other uses as well? How much does the interior temperature depend on sunlight (ie how much higher would the temp be inside on a sunny vs cloudy day at, say, 8C)?

You're right, mods don't like new members posting personal links, understandable of course! Hopefully they say it's OK because I find this interesting. :)

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Very nice, and interesting information. Do you build them just for gardening, or for other uses as well? How much does the interior temperature depend on sunlight (ie how much higher would the temp be inside on a sunny vs cloudy day at, say, 8C)?
You're right, mods don't like new members posting personal links, understandable of course! Hopefully they say it's OK because I find this interesting. :)

Hi Beth, thank you very much !
This first dome was built as a greenhouse but the domes that we build are mostly for residence, we focus on sustainable homes and those are not all glass domes, but with a partial green roof :
99FULL.jpg

In my greenhouse dome at8C outside, on a sunny day it can between 18 and 25 C.
The interior is underground so that also helps regulate the temperature. Btw i'm also from a 5b zone

granjera please let me know if you're interested in one of our dome homes :)

Becky i will try to contribute with all my gardening knowledge :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Awesome, I guess the glass are thick enough and frames are metal,

:)

I my side temp is bit high, 113 deg Feh

It would be cool to have one of those, you should try to put some solar panel alternately to glass, wouldn't it be nice(y).

Please do share more Pic, I love them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Your geodesic domes are very impressive Remi. I'd love one as a greenhouse in our cooler months but summer not so needed. My husband built a steam room out of glass which works hard to come up to temperature, he likes 40 degrees, but in summer no electricity is required.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Thanks everyone ! In the summer i use triunghiular shades and window film, plus i plant many huge banana tree around it and those big leaves do a great job with shadings.
Last year i had 4 types of banana trees 3 musa and 1 ensete

Ask a Question