fiberglass pot longevity?

Reaction score
i just picked up two large fiberglass pots for an idea

exteriors001_zps89405b90.jpg

they're about 17" high and 21" around at the widest point. that's a 26" mountain bike wheel for an idea of size behind it. they were described to me as being part fiberglass, with some concrete or cement mixed into the resin.

the idea is to plant a tree in each, in a spot on my drive where i can't really put a tree in the ground, maybe a semi dwarf fruit tree, but i'm open to suggestions as to what might grow best and relatively tall in a pot this size. at least 10' would work, any more would be a bonus.

the other question is, being trees i hope to have them grow there for quite a few years, so i'm wondering if anyone has experience with this type of pot as far as how durable they are. they'll be exposed to weather year round and i guess have to withstand the roots maybe breaking it. if they can move concrete driveways around, seems like a pot wouldn't stand a chance.

thanks for any help or suggestions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a few of this type of pot and are quite pleased with them. I guess mine are 6 or 7 years old and still in perfect shape. Don't forget to drill holes in the bottom if it doesn't already have them. A masonry bit works great.

Reaction score
They are very durable if you don't bang them around or run them over with your car - most things are under those conditions. Like Chuck said, drill holes in the bottom so that they have the ability to have drainage.

Reaction score
thanks. I'm now kinda thinking of trying something else (sometimes ideas trip over each other in my head).. while I was eyeballing them, getting the idea together I noticed the 55gal drum that's been sitting around since I moved into the house 7 years ago. they'd be even bigger and I know they'd be around a while. the bad thing is I don't want to deal with trying to get a refund for the pots I have. i'll need to think on it some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hope that 55 gallon drum is plastic. Even tin lined steel drums will rust out fairly soon when full of damp soil. A plastic drum will deteriorate over time when in direct sunlight but will last a lot longer than a metal drum

Reaction score
well scratch that, they were steel drums I saw at a flea market. i'll go with the pots I got then. I went out and found one more at one of the other stores. big lots has them as part of some buy out. I saw some even bigger ones at another big lots but they were cracked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
well scratch that, they were steel drums I saw at a flea market. i'll go with the pots I got then. I went out and found one more at one of the other stores. big lots has them as part of some buy out. I saw some even bigger ones at another big lots but they were cracked.
If they are cracked maybe they will give them to your or at least real real cheap. Then repair them with fiberglass cloth or matt. Fiberglass work isn't difficult or complicated.

Reaction score
that didn't occur to me, and I used to play with fiberglass pretty often years back (car stereo projects mainly). i'll stick with what I have though.

Ask a Question