Fibre glass vs Melamine vs regular plastic

ssr

Reaction score
Hi, New to gardening here.
I want to avoid plastic as much as possible. fiber glass container are expensive here.
So I was wondering how a cheap Melamine(microwave and dishwasher safe) bows available in local supermarkets works.
Does this can tolerate fertilizers and sunlight entire day?
plz suggest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think melamine would last quite some time but you still have to take into consideration drilling holes in the bottom of the bowls. Also you will be limited as to what you can grow in the bowls because of the shallow depth. Here a 12 inch bowl has maybe a 5 inch depth. I guess it all depends on what you want to grow

ssr

Reaction score
Thanks for quick replay Chuck,
Making holes in melamine is no problem unless it's as much PIA as glass. My only worry is soil contamination with exposure of inside layers.
We get cheap melmine for 2-3$ from China, vessels May go up to regular size pots.

Also I am worried about melmine slowly leaking chemicals to air and soil when it's in direct contact with sunlight and ferilisers/nutrients/pestisides for a long time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for quick replay Chuck,
Making holes in melamine is no problem unless it's as much PIA as glass. My only worry is soil contamination with exposure of inside layers.
We get cheap melmine for 2-3$ from China, vessels May go up to regular size pots.

Also I am worried about melmine slowly leaking chemicals to air and soil when it's in direct contact with sunlight and ferilisers/nutrients/pestisides for a long time
As far as I know melamine is safe for microwaves and is safe for food. I wouldn't worry about it

Reaction score
How about using wooden barrels? I know what you mean about plastics. I try to stay away from it as much as possible. Can you get ceramic pots for a decent price where you are?

ssr

Reaction score
How about using wooden barrels? I know what you mean about plastics. I try to stay away from it as much as possible. Can you get ceramic pots for a decent price where you are?
hi, ceramic is too costly here, I did buy some small size ceramic vessels(for 5$ each) which is used for pickle container.
Currently my goal is to have only self watering systems. so I am not able to find a suitable container for the above container, so these vessels are in idle for now.

also how about using aluminium foils (used to cover the food) in the containers? does they leach ?

I have also seen U shaped aluminium bars/channels and planning to use it for vertical gardening,
which could be nice alternative for pvc pipe based vertical garden.

Plz share your opinion.

In the mean time, check my self watering system,
using a regular metal potter and a bread box to hold soil. I am using aluminium foil to cover the gap between them, so that it will not become a mosquito pond and also to prevent leaking from main container.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not sure but I believe aluminum foil is safe. We sure have been using it for food for ages and I've never heard anything bad about it.

Your system is very nice looking!

Have you checked yard sales, etc. for old items that you can use? I've seen a lot of very creative gardening in odd containers.

Can you get plain clay pots? They are usually more inexpensive than ceramic and you can always decorate them.

ssr

Reaction score
Thanks for quick replay.
I used tin can(stored food container ) as water storage in self-serving and they started rusting.
I am hesitant to use a cheap local plain pots because of paints they use, acc to my experience they do not have any knowledge of toxins.
Another problem is I do not know locations where a branded one is available.
However I did get lots of whiskey bottles from a frequent drinker :p and planing to do some self watering with them.
Currenlty I have made self watering from wine, dettol, olive bottles.

I will go visit yard sales :)

Reaction score
I love the idea of using bottles for self watering. I don't drink but there are some very pretty bottles out there, and my daughter in law has some interesting ones her and her friends drink on display above their cabinets. I'm going to have her start saving some of the nicer looking ones for me!

Where do you live, SSR?

Ask a Question