Fruit and nut trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering why fruit and nut bearing trees are not commonly seen in US and UK in regular yards? They have plenty of ornamental trees that are just there ( I know they have their purpose too in a way), they still have to clear up after them (leaves branches, etc).
In Europe (Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia at least) it is not uncommon for someones yard to be peppered with apple trees, walnut trees, plum, apricot, pear or any other fruit/nut suitable for that climate.
I understand in the UK perhaps with your tiny tiny gardens. But the US is huge with accommodating yards. Fruit and nuts are quite expensive, especially organic, so why don't I ever see a yard with a single food producing tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was wondering why fruit and nut bearing trees are not commonly seen in US and UK in regular yards? They have plenty of ornamental trees that are just there ( I know they have their purpose too in a way), they still have to clear up after them (leaves branches, etc).
In Europe (Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia at least) it is not uncommon for someones yard to be peppered with apple trees, walnut trees, plum, apricot, pear or any other fruit/nut suitable for that climate.
I understand in the UK perhaps with your tiny tiny gardens. But the US is huge with accommodating yards. Fruit and nuts are quite expensive, especially organic, so why don't I ever see a yard with a single food producing tree?
In Texas at least, you will find food producing trees in most older neighborhoods. Pecans mostly and walnut but other trees as well such as pomegranate and pear. Most fruit trees such as peaches are short lived trees and citrus is curtailed by the climate. Most homes built in the past 20 or 30 years were built by contractors and they mostly planted the cheapest fastest growing trees they could find. Also Americans move about every 7 years on average so why bother planting a good nut tree that takes years to produce. And face it, most Americans are just too lazy to maintain food producing trees what with all the maintenance they require. Most of them get upset having to rake up the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In Texas at least, you will find food producing trees in most older neighborhoods. Pecans mostly and walnut but other trees as well such as pomegranate and pear. Most fruit trees such as peaches are short lived trees and citrus is curtailed by the climate. Most homes built in the past 20 or 30 years were built by contractors and they mostly planted the cheapest fastest growing trees they could find. Also Americans move about every 7 years on average so why bother planting a good nut tree that takes years to produce. And face it, most Americans are just too lazy to maintain food producing trees what with all the maintenance they require. Most of them get upset having to rake up the leaves.

Bah I guess that makes sense, in the US we moved a LOT like on average once a year. But the properties we have in Croatia have been in our family for the past 300 years. Hmm.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've planted fruit trees in most places i've lived, other people are enjoying them now, only one i've brought with me is Boris the Olive tree, he lives in a pot and is 26 years old now, was just a twig when I got him, only ever produced 2 olives and they were tiny :D
DSCN0732.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
It is probably because fruit and nut trees can be a pain to take care of. Also, the majority of US citizens are lazy. Oriental trees have leaves and sticks that have to be cleaned up. Fruit and nut trees have that, plus fruit and nuts to clean up. We used to have this tree that dropped green balls with a big seed inside. I'm not exactly sure what kind of tree it was, but it was a royal pain to clean up. We also have an apple tree and a pear tree out back. The pear tree got too tall for us to reach the pears without a ladder. It also attracts tons of bees. I don't really mind bees, but my mother is allergic to them so she won't go near the tree. During the summer we are constantly cleaning up the pears just so we can mow the lawn. We have a similar problem with the apple tree, but at least we can reach the apples! In general it just takes more effort to maintain a tree that produces fruits. Although it would be free food, most people are busy working one or multiple jobs and can't be bothered to have to clean up after a producing tree as well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've planted fruit trees in most places i've lived, other people are enjoying them now, only one i've brought with me is Boris the Olive tree, he lives in a pot and is 26 years old now, was just a twig when I got him, only ever produced 2 olives and they were tiny :DView attachment 4004
Aww look at Boris, leave him alone! Two olives is plenty enough! :) how come you chose that specific one to stick with you? That is incredible, 26 years... Almost as old as me!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is probably because fruit and nut trees can be a pain to take care of. Also, the majority of US citizens are lazy. Oriental trees have leaves and sticks that have to be cleaned up. Fruit and nut trees have that, plus fruit and nuts to clean up. We used to have this tree that dropped green balls with a big seed inside. I'm not exactly sure what kind of tree it was, but it was a royal pain to clean up. We also have an apple tree and a pear tree out back. The pear tree got too tall for us to reach the pears without a ladder. It also attracts tons of bees. I don't really mind bees, but my mother is allergic to them so she won't go near the tree. During the summer we are constantly cleaning up the pears just so we can mow the lawn. We have a similar problem with the apple tree, but at least we can reach the apples! In general it just takes more effort to maintain a tree that produces fruits. Although it would be free food, most people are busy working one or multiple jobs and can't be bothered to have to clean up after a producing tree as well.

I guess that makes sense, I never really saw it as that much of a bother, but then again I love fruits, jams, compotes and piesss I am a fatty I know :giggle:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D No, but there is a plant that leon takes with him to each hotel room he checks into.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D No, but there is a plant that leon takes with him to each hotel room he checks into.
Ohhhh. Right that's it then I definitely need to re-watch that film!
Jokes aside I do think that is pretty amazing, to have it with you and on the move for so long. Are you planning on passing it down to anyone?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think there's a horrible moment when the plant gets left, i've got to watch it again too.

He's been to Wales and back so far, hadn't really thought about passing him on, spose I ought to, they live for 2000 years or more, seen some in the Garden of Gethsemany that were alive when Jesus was

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think there's a horrible moment when the plant gets left, i've got to watch it again too.

He's been to Wales and back so far, hadn't really thought about passing him on, spose I ought to, they live for 2000 years or more, seen some in the Garden of Gethsemany that were alive when Jesus was
They do? I never knew that! I had an encounter with an olive tree when I worked on an Island in Croatia. Now, I am not sure what possessed me... was it the 40 degree heat, or the wine... but I idiotically tried to eat a green olive. Urgh.
And definitely pass him on, and make whoever gets it promise to pass it on, how lovely would that be ?? And each person that passes it on could pass on a little write up of what the tree has been through in their care :)
Dangit! I need an olive tree. NOW!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, someone else has told me about eating an unprocessed olive with the same results :D

Good idea, now that would be a hell of a family heirloom:)

All my Grandad ever gave to me was a tin of ball bearings he'd pinched from the factory:(

I'll take some cuttings in the spring :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, someone else has told me about eating an unprocessed olive with the same results :D

Good idea, now that would be a hell of a family heirloom:)

All my Grandad ever gave to me was a tin of ball bearings he'd pinched from the factory:(

I'll take some cuttings in the spring :)
Now I am pleased with myself.
And if it makes you feel any better I haven't really had nothing handed down to me like that. My grandma did make sure I know where her funeral outfit is though o_O

Ask a Question