Butternut squash fruit turning yellow and falling off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
This happened to my pumpkins before. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I just fertilized with organic fertilizer. I used epsom salt also.

Are there any diagnosis for the fruit to yellow and fall out before the flower opens?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This happened to my pumpkins before. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I just fertilized with organic fertilizer. I used epsom salt also.

Are there any diagnosis for the fruit to yellow and fall out before the flower opens?
How big were the fruits?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
AC751955-11C5-49A9-A88B-3C881AE061E6_zpsemco20qg.jpg

It was beautiful and green yesterday. It looks like it's going to start drying up tomorrow.

Something tells me the sun is too strong. Should I try shading the next fruit to see if that's it? I fertilized this plant today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It's not the lack of pollination. This flower NEVER opened up. It turned yellow before.

Anyways, I see another flower with a nice green fruit. I put a plastic cup over it to shade it. I'll see if it turns yellow tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's not the lack of pollination. This flower NEVER opened up. It turned yellow before.

Anyways, I see another flower with a nice green fruit. I put a plastic cup over it to shade it. I'll see if it turns yellow tomorrow.
That is also common on immature plants. give it time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I'm so happy!

A recent butternut squash flower came up. I decided to put a plastic cup over it and it didn't die out! It's so big! The biggest I ever grew a butternut! Now, the flower hasn't opened up yet, so I'm not going to get my hopes up in case none of the males open up in time, but it's a big progress!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ok. I'm bumping because I'm having the same problem. Not with butternut squash though. It's with my honeydew melon plant.

All the flowers just turn yellow and dry up when they are still so tiny. The plant got pretty long but it wouldn't produce any good flowers.

Yesterday I did something to it. There was a secondary vine coming from the base of the plant. I cut off the main vine. Right now I just have one secondary vine. (Im guessing it is now a main vine?)

Anyways, I did this because I wanted it to have a good root system to care for that small secondary vine.

I did this out of instinct. I have not heard of this type of method. I'm going to let the plant grow big and see if it helped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Melons, squash, tomatoes and even peppers have seasons. It gets cooler, although not so much in Miami, but the days get shorter. Why do you think prices for these items increase more and more the later in the year it becomes? No plant will produce fully when the seasons change. Butternut squash is a spring vegetable although it takes longer to mature than say yellow crooknecks. If, IF, you can keep them alive until spring you will have a bumper crop, but please don't expect anything near to a spring crop this winter.

Ask a Question