Questions on Indoor Fruit Plants (Blueberries and Strawberries)

SunSoftBliss

Maddie
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I have some questions mostly about the growth cycles of strawberries and blueberries planted indoors.
First of all, I'm hoping and planning to grow Top Hat Blueberries, and a few different types of strawberries.
I'm growing them in pots with soilless mix and appropriate fertilizer, and supplementing natural light with grow lights.

My questions:
1. Does it actually matter what time of year I plant them? Or can I plant them anytime? I think I will start from seed for the strawberries but get a bare root plant for the blueberries.
2. Do the strawberries need to go dormant? I am pretty sure the blueberries DO need a period of dormancy each year. Is that right?
3. How do I go about doing that, if they do need to go dormant? & how do I know when it is time? Can I put the plant in my garage over the winter or will the shock of the temperature change just kill it? It gets below freezing here in the wintertime.

One last somewhat random question...does growing fruit indoors always mean they will attract bugs/fruit flies, or is there a way to avoid it? My brother tried growing tomatoes or something in his apartment and ended up with a lot of fruit flies.

Thank you to any help you can offer me :) and I apologize for all the questions! I have not been able to find these answers just by googling!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Not an expert, but soilless mix for fruiting plants and indoors as well? Do you live in an apartment?

There are untold variety of nutrients, vitamins and minerals in soil and that's why people are encouraged to get a bit for garden soil or even soil in woodland where allowed to nurture their plants. What are the reasons driving such a formula please?

SunSoftBliss

Maddie
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not an expert, but soilless mix for fruiting plants and indoors as well? Do you live in an apartment?

There are untold variety of nutrients, vitamins and minerals in soil and that's why people are encouraged to get a bit for garden soil or even soil in woodland where allowed to nurture their plants. What are the reasons driving such a formula please?

Yes, I don't have room to grow outdoors, so indoors is my only option. But from my research, people have had success growing them indoors. I have heard that soil is too heavy and compact for pots, and that using a soilless mix reduces risk of disease and pests - and it is easier to control which nutrients your plant gets as well.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Best of luck and please upload your labour of love! Looking forward to seeing them. Strawberry is fairly easy to grow. Worth a try. Blueberry is always ideal for pots any way. Just make sure you have enough light and use ericaceous compost, you should be fine. Best wishes and make sure you have fun along the way!

Ask a Question