Late fruiting plants

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My vegetable garden did OK this year if I don't consider the cucumber beetles and the squash bugs. They made it impossible to grow anything like a squash. BUT - overall I got too much plant and the fruit came very late on all my peppers (4 types), tomatoes, and even the zinnia I border with was late. -- any ideas why? As we all know it has been a very warm growing season. And - I irrigate with soaker hoses so the plants did not lack water.

Mark

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a very hot season and I think there has not been enough rain or moisture in the air to make my vegs successful. For me, everything is late and some dahlias are still sulking. I have begun to wonder if the packets of dahlia tubers are the same even though the front showed something different as I have had tons of repeats:banghead:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think the extremely hot temperatures slowed everything down a bit. As soon as the weather cooled off, my garden went into high gear, but everything is later than usual.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tjohn & alp,
Thanks for the reply. It seems counterintuitive that a warm season would make things late. As I said my garden is irrigated so it last of moisture. At this point I can only guess. the good side is, I'm still picking peppers.

Mark

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I also harvested my only and first sweet pointy pepper two days ago. It's actually red. Very happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It was a cold spring and everybody started late around here. When the summer heat arrived the plants struggled except the okra of course

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This has been such a confusing year that all I can remember is the prolonged heat :cool:and drought.:cry: Everything else has been a confused blurrrrrrrrrrrrr!:banghead:

Ask a Question