Late fruiting plants

Discussion in 'Vegetables' started by mvona, Oct 9, 2018.

1. mvona

mvona

My vegetable garden did OK this year if I don't consider the cucumber beetles and the squash bugs. They made it impossible to grow anything like a squash. BUT - overall I got too much plant and the fruit came very late on all my peppers (4 types), tomatoes, and even the zinnia I border with was late. -- any ideas why? As we all know it has been a very warm growing season. And - I irrigate with soaker hoses so the plants did not lack water.

Mark

mvona, Oct 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. mvona

alp

We have had a very hot season and I think there has not been enough rain or moisture in the air to make my vegs successful. For me, everything is late and some dahlias are still sulking. I have begun to wonder if the packets of dahlia tubers are the same even though the front showed something different as I have had tons of repeats:banghead:

alp, Oct 9, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. mvona

Tjohn

I think the extremely hot temperatures slowed everything down a bit. As soon as the weather cooled off, my garden went into high gear, but everything is later than usual.

Tjohn, Oct 9, 2018
  4. mvona

mvona

Tjohn & alp,
    Thanks for the reply. It seems counterintuitive that a warm season would make things late. As I said my garden is irrigated so it last of moisture. At this point I can only guess. the good side is, I'm still picking peppers.

Mark

mvona, Oct 9, 2018
    alp likes this.
  5. mvona

alp

I also harvested my only and first sweet pointy pepper two days ago. It's actually red. Very happy!

alp, Oct 10, 2018
  6. mvona

DirtMechanic

It was a cold spring and everybody started late around here. When the summer heat arrived the plants struggled except the okra of course

DirtMechanic, Oct 10, 2018
    alp likes this.
  7. mvona

alp

This has been such a confusing year that all I can remember is the prolonged heat :cool:and drought.:cry: Everything else has been a confused blurrrrrrrrrrrrr!:banghead:

alp, Oct 10, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question