Dots on squash?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys! My squash plant seems to be dying, but I can tell part of it is still trying to grow. I'm not sure if it's because of the colder weather (it has gotten to 40's and 50's a few nights) or another reason. There are these tiny dark dots that started forming on them. Does anyone know what these are? Also, should I take all the squash off of it now rather than seeing if it will grow more? Thank you! :)

Attachments

• IMG_5205.jpg
    IMG_5205.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5202.jpg
    IMG_5202.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5215.jpg
    IMG_5215.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The difference between a gourd and a squash is mainly if you eat it. I notice many gourds with speckling. I notice cross pollination aspects in your fruit. I would take the squash if it seems tender enough to eat else leave it alone.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The difference between a gourd and a squash is mainly if you eat it. I notice many gourds with speckling. I notice cross pollination aspects in your fruit. I would take the squash if it seems tender enough to eat else leave it alone.
DirtMechanic, this is something I’ve been a bit confused about ! I just called it “squash” for convenience. I didn’t intend to eat them since i thought they looked more like gourds, but I was also unsure if I should leave them on the vine longer to harden into gourds (I’ve read that in some places) or if I could just take them off anytime. They do seem pretty hard already. Yes, the plant spontaneously appeared so I was wondering if it could’ve somehow been cross-pollinated! It’s interesting. Thank you for your response! 😊😊

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will those little specks wash off? If so then what you are seeing is insect feces.
Hi Chuck! I just poured water on them and they didn’t seem to wash off, at least most of them (if not all) appeared to stay. Thank you for your response! 🙂🙂

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They appear to be ornamental gourds and if so should not be picked until the stems turn brown and dry or until directly before the first frost. If picked slightly green or immature they will rot

Reaction score
Country
United States
They appear to be ornamental gourds and if so should not be picked until the stems turn brown and dry or until directly before the first frost. If picked slightly green or immature they will rot
Oh, thank you!! That’s so helpful. I couldn’t find this info anywhere. I will wait until they are brown, then! 🙂

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Oh, thank you!! That’s so helpful. I couldn’t find this info anywhere. I will wait until they are brown, then! 🙂
You will see the stem dissicate. You may want to bed it on something like pinestraw to keep it from flat spotting underneath where it lays on the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Oh, I never even thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion!
My wife was the state gourd queen one year. Enough ribbons to make a dress and not a squash to eat amongst them. Fine art mostly. All the great artists have their faces on gourd birdhouses in my yard as her lark. I will post a few pics later for you. Remind me if I forget, I rather the photos be daylight so not this evening.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
My wife was the state gourd queen one year. Enough ribbons to make a dress and not a squash to eat amongst them. Fine art mostly. All the great artists have their faces on gourd birdhouses in my yard as her lark. I will post a few pics later for you. Remind me if I forget, I rather the photos be daylight so not this evening.
Whoa, I'd love to see that!! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, those are beautiful!! Wait, those are all gourds?? That's so cool, she's incredibly talented!! I love how she adds that rope stuff and feathers to some of them. Thanks so much for posting these pics!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wow, those are beautiful!! Wait, those are all gourds?? That's so cool, she's incredibly talented!! I love how she adds that rope stuff and feathers to some of them. Thanks so much for posting these pics!
Yes all gourds. She grew some for a while, and traded with others gourdoes that grew different kinds.

Ask a Question