Fern drying out and has black hairs and white dots

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a tree fern planted in a pot a few years ago. Lately, I noticed black hairs at the bottom of the stems. The leaves started drying out from the bottom up even though I was watering. Then more recently there are white dots on the leaves. I found on the web that they might be spider mites and I can spray them with a water and rubbing alcohol solution. I will try that. Should I worry about the black hairs? Should I repot the fern?

Attachments

• IMG_2875.jpeg
    IMG_2875.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2877.jpeg
    IMG_2877.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2874.jpeg
    IMG_2874.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The black hairs are normal for the lower part of the leaves. You might try a systemic insecticide for the white spots. The picture wasn’t clear enough to confirm mealybug, but the pattern seems right. Alcohol is very drying, which ferns do not like.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always believed tree ferns should be planted with the root above ground level ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think it’s a Blechnum which are sometimes called Dwarf Tree Fern. It isn’t planted very deep, you can see some roots on the surface.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that cpp I visualised a small Dicksonia . We can get those here if we look for them. I visited a rainforest when in Tasmania to see my son and his family. The atmosphere and sound of that place will stay with me. It was magical.
1680733219751.png
Dicksonia antarctica

Ask a Question