Amber polka dots disease help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My dragon fruit plant which just flowered and it seems pollination was successful. It pretty much always had these spots, should I be worried about the health of the plant?

E4847937-EF2E-48A4-AC67-C10129657A10.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We really need to see a close up image of the spots. It could be a problem as simple as insect bites or stings or it could be a fungal problem. There are 3 or 4 likely fungal diseases that it could be. In any case it will be of benefit if you will remove all that greenery in the pot and cover the soil with mulch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
We really need to see a close up image of the spots. It could be a problem as simple as insect bites or stings or it could be a fungal problem. There are 3 or 4 likely fungal diseases that it could be. In any case it will be of benefit if you will remove all that greenery in the pot and cover the soil with mulch.
@Chuck

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I went to the hardware store and bought organic fertilizer, pine bark mulch, and this in case it’s fungus:

I’m going to pluck the weeds now. Please let me know what you think this “disease” is and if the treatment I purchased will work. :)

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Here’s the finished result. I didn’t spray the cactus with anything because I need a diagnosis first.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, most of them are slightly raised. Kind of like a mole on a person.
That is probably a dragon fruit fungus with the scientific name of Botryosphaeria dothidea. I think I spelled it right. This leaf spot disease affects many cacti and is primarily caused by the Leaf Footed Stink Bug. The bug is long gone but the fungicide you got is the correct one. Just follow directions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
That is probably a dragon fruit fungus with the scientific name of Botryosphaeria dothidea. I think I spelled it right. This leaf spot disease affects many cacti and is primarily caused by the Leaf Footed Stink Bug. The bug is long gone but the fungicide you got is the correct one. Just follow directions.
Ha! I had a feeling it was a fungus of some sort. That’s why I purchased it while I was already at the hardware store! :D

Thank you so much Chuck!! I will research the fungus name for more information and to satisfy my curiosity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ha! I had a feeling it was a fungus of some sort. That’s why I purchased it while I was already at the hardware store! :D

Thank you so much Chuck!! I will research the fungus name for more information and to satisfy my curiosity.
This disease affects a lot of different plants, from some nut bearing trees to cactus. It is also one of very few to have raised bumps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
The instructions say every 7 days as needed.

Am I supposed to expect the spots to go away? I thought the fungus was going to have permanent damage to the appearance of the plant? How will I know when the fungus is cured? (I don’t want to prematurely terminate treatment).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The instructions say every 7 days as needed.

Am I supposed to expect the spots to go away? I thought the fungus was going to have permanent damage to the appearance of the plant? How will I know when the fungus is cured? (I don’t want to prematurely terminate treatment).
Most of the time the spots will fade but you can still see them. The fungus has permanently physically damaged the plant. In your climate spraying prophylactically about once per month is a good thing to do. Fungi loves humidity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Most of the time the spots will fade but you can still see them. The fungus has permanently physically damaged the plant. In your climate spraying prophylactically about once per month is a good thing to do. Fungi loves humidity.
Can they become resistant to the copper?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can they become resistant to the copper?
Not that I know of. That leaf hopper bug slightly injures the plant while it is sucking on it and a fungal spore enters the wound. The spore when mixed with the chemicals the bug injects causes the disease. At least this how I understand it to work. And if this be the case I don't see how a plant or a fungus could become resistant. And if there was a fungus there it would be killed and if not the copper would soon be washed away.

Ask a Question