Canna contest?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
had them for a few years, got tired of them, gave them away. not one to lift and store things. has to stay in the ground all winter.
I know what you mean, I used them as annuals at first cause I was intimidate by the work involved in winterizing them, but then I researched the subject further and learned I didn't have to go through that long process I could just dig them out, shake some of the soil off and box them in bedding
That's too bad! We are fortunate that we live in an area that we can leave things in the ground. I wouldn't do it if I had to dig them up either, lots of work!
But don't you still have to dig them up to keep them contained?
Yes, and each year when I lifted them, they made more babies etc. So it was, in the spring, where do I put them all. @vette-kid . just too much work with everything else. I gave them to another gardener who is happy with them.
Cannas are not the only plants I winterize, I also have several kinds of Dahlias, and every Spring I give away hundreds of plants sometime to people I don't even know (friends of friends) Why I do it? Because 1) I'm a giver, and 2) I like the idea of colorful gardens everywhere...my way of helping nature :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I forgot to mention one of my favorite Canna, probably cause I don't know the name, it is the shortest Canna I've ever seen, but it blooms so fast (often puts out buds after only 3 leaves) and continuously, and the blooms are so bright orange, it is hard not to fall in love
I don't have a better pic but you can see it here, and if you know the name please share

pond2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello alp,
I just dig them up, shake the dirt off, clip the stalks off and let dry in the GH for several days. Then into huge paper bags and put in the cold room of my basement for the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A grow a couple last year and this year I will be growing the same 2 Durban and Australia unfortunately i don't have any good pictures cause the dahlia grow much bigger than them so shaded them out, this year they should be larger.
I grow Wyoming and pretoria a few years ago but discarding them fearing they may have canna virus. I would like to grow shenandoah

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I forgot to mention one of my favorite Canna, probably cause I don't know the name, it is the shortest Canna I've ever seen, but it blooms so fast (often puts out buds after only 3 leaves) and continuously, and the blooms are so bright orange, it is hard not to fall in love
I don't have a better pic but you can see it here, and if you know the name please share

View attachment 33647

Oh, my gawd! That's beautiful!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Daren: Mine has got numerous little holes. I am most annoyed. I think once the cold spell is over and they are out, the problem will be alleviated. I don't really want to spray anything as they are in my lean to.

Johnny - I think I will definitely do that with begonias. Cannas can be overwintered in my lean to as our winters are not normally that severe. Gosh! You must looooooove your plants. I'm a bit blasée. But I won't let them out in the winter as I have learnt a terrible lesson to my cost.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grow Wyoming and pretoria a few years ago but discarding them fearing they may have canna virus. I would like to grow shenandoah
I know the feeling! I'm crossing my fingers than the new ones I purchased this year are virus free, otherwise I will have to throw every single canna away and start over with tissue culture, again
Shenandoah was on my list but I didn't see it where I made my purchase...it is a beautiful one for sure

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
:LOL::ROFLMAO:;)

I so want to learn that, but the scientific process is tedious. But I've seen on TV that a primary school is doing that and the headteacher is encouraging young kids to grow orchids. I salivate and wishes I would have hundreds of hellebores in test tubes! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
alp If Your leaves are Being Eaten Try Using Copper Tape Like Which You Can see in One of my Potted Cannas I't Does Help (y)
View attachment 33640

Daren: I have my eyes on one with dark leaves but at the moment, it is £4.99 or 5.99. Stuttgarts are all reduced to £1.99 in Basildon Summerhill!

Ask a Question