What's eating my Canna?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This little guy send to be doing a good number on my Canna. I though maybe they were disease, but I'm seeing a lot of his evidence on damaged leaves now. They get into a new leaf and it gets sealed shut and then starts to rot, causing the dead sections over it does unroll. Today I opened one such leaf and caught what I hope of the culprit.

Can someone identify this guy and tell me how to be rid of him? Neem oil, spinosad?
IMG_20180920_072520873.jpg
IMG_20180920_072528138.jpg
IMG_20180920_072535513.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This little guy send to be doing a good number on my Canna. I though maybe they were disease, but I'm seeing a lot of his evidence on damaged leaves now. They get into a new leaf and it gets sealed shut and then starts to rot, causing the dead sections over it does unroll. Today I opened one such leaf and caught what I hope of the culprit.

Can someone identify this guy and tell me how to be rid of him? Neem oil, spinosad?
View attachment 44966 View attachment 44967 View attachment 44968
What you have chomping on your plant is called a leaf roller. To be exact it is a Lesser Canna Lily Leaf Roller. There are all kinds of leaf rollers and they will attack just about anything. A moth flies in at night lays its eggs and when the egg hatches you have this little caterpillar.. There are two treatments for leaf rollers. The first treatment is difficult because you don't know when the moth arrives and lays its eggs, so, multiple applications of Neem is required. The second treatment is for when the eggs have hatched and there are actual caterpillars and you spray a Bt (Bacillus thuringensis) product on BOTH sides of the leaves.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/leafroller-damage-control.htm

Ask a Question