Canna contest?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:LOL::ROFLMAO:;)

I so want to learn that, but the scientific process is tedious. But I've seen on TV that a primary school is doing that and the headteacher is encouraging young kids to grow orchids. I salivate and wishes I would have hundreds of hellebores in test tubes! LOL!
I better specify that when I restarted my collection using only tissue culture grown specimens, I wasn't actually doing the procedure myself, I just restricted myself into only buying t.c. grown cannas:D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How can you tell they are TC or not? All I know is that I bought a packet home and potted it up in my own compost. It's always the cold that killed them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How can you tell they are TC or not? All I know is that I bought a packet home and potted it up in my own compost. It's always the cold that killed them.
They didn't have a rhizome,the roots were growing right out of the base of the stalk

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Daren: I have my eyes on one with dark leaves but at the moment, it is £4.99 or 5.99. Stuttgarts are all reduced to £1.99 in Basildon Summerhill!
that's Interesting Info(y) I Do Pop in to Summerhills From Time to Time, Last year I even Managed to do most my Christmas Shopping at the Nursury:D I love the variegated Foliage of Stuttgarts;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
that's Interesting Info(y) I Do Pop in to Summerhills From Time to Time, Last year I even Managed to do most my Christmas Shopping at the Nursury:D I love the variegated Foliage of Stuttgarts;)

They had about 5 or more on sale for £1.99. Have you been to Plants Outlet! Love the place. I've got a viburnum Marisii and another Bowl of Beauty there today! The owner said he would have new stock coming later from Spalding. We also went to Branning (ex Homebase) in Vange. Son just loves driving round and round and round...I was so tempted to having another standard Ilex .. But it was different in height to the one I have already got. £9 for one. Today, Summerhill was spectacularily beautiful. They had sooooooo many flowers in the middle section. You'd think Easter is here until you see all the plants were covered by 2 inches of snow!:eek: Wish I had bought a Boxus cone for £10.. Soon, you will have a flower named after me, Alp's extravaganza ghost! LOL!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Branning I Know that Place Its that Vary Big Australian Shop They sell Bbqs the Size of a Bus:cool: & wheelbarrows that look more like a Tractor;). not Been to Plants Outlet yet:rolleyes: Don't give me more places to shop I'm A man & we Don't Like Shopping :D I got to stay way lol. But Thanks for the Tip(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Me too,I just love variegated plants. I have a banana that looks just like Stuttgart Canna pattern. Sadly it didn't do too well last year. Hope it does better here.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Branning I Know that Place Its that Vary Big Australian Shop They sell Bbqs the Size of a Bus:cool: & wheelbarrows that look more like a Tractor;). not Been to Plants Outlet yet:rolleyes: Don't give me more places to shop I'm A man & we Don't Like Shopping :D I got to stay way lol. But Thanks for the Tip(y)

It was on the previous Homebase. Branning, the Australian company, has bought up Homebase. You might like Plants Outlet. We've been twice or three times. Can't quite remember. Summerhill of course is always lovely.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Me too,I just love variegated plants. I have a banana that looks just like Stuttgart Canna pattern. Sadly it didn't do too well last year. Hope it does better here.
Don't talk about Variegate Bananas.......... Mine I think Is Dead. I Dug it up and moved it into unheated Greenhouse but it Does not feel to good. It has a Compost feel about it. The Good news is the Red one I have & moved in to the Dark Garage And Raped with a old bed quilt looks Good:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't talk about Variegate Bananas.......... Mine I think Is Dead. I Dug it up and moved it into unheated Greenhouse but it Does not feel to good. It has a Compost feel about it. The Good news is the Red one I have & moved in to the Dark Garage And Raped with a old bed quilt looks Good:)

... Wrapped... Wrapped.... Wrapped

Seriously, did yours freeze? I don't think any of the variegated are very cold hardy. Mine got cut back and then transplanted. Had cold damage but the corm was fine. I have three pups right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I Tried a Different Treatment for my Variegated & I believe I failed. It Was a plant I only Bought last year & Treated it wrong, As I Thought It was more Hardy than the Red So Decided not to Wrap it like I Did with the Red......Vary Bad Move But all Mistakes are Learning Curves. If it Does not Make it I'll Look for another & Treat it Different next winter(y) If Beaten Try Try Again as the Saying go's:)

Ask a Question