Canna contest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are there many canna growers on here? We have contests for many other items, Canna sends like a good one. Most varieties are over 4 feet and some can reach 20! Id be in for a contest, anyone else interested?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't know about participating in a contest (maybe), but I can talk about Cannas all day long and into the night, I love them so much!:D
I've been growing Cannas for years, but due to fear of "viruses" up until this year I've been too afraid of buying new ones and only kept the same few varieties I owned....this year I couldn't resist, I had to take a chance and see if there are healthy Cannas available on the market

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
If it's for best looking I would enter the contest. I don't grow the tall cannas but these ones.
P1020711.JPG
P1020710.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Gemma , what varieties do you grow? I'm not even sure of what all I had at the old house. There were 5 different ones, the only two I'm sure of are Pretoria and Tropicana.

I've got several variegated on order, plus I bright a Pretoria and Tropicana with me to this house. I also have a red King Humbert and considering a pewter moon (12-15ft)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
had them for a few years, got tired of them, gave them away. not one to lift and store things. has to stay in the ground all winter.

That's too bad! We are fortunate that we live in an area that we can leave things in the ground. I wouldn't do it if I had to dig them up either, lots of work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Thanks Gemma. Those ones I bought years ago from Costco, I just keep dividing them every year. I should buy a couple different ones maybe. I did try several tall varieties way back but they just didn't do well at all for me.

Thanks vette-kid. Not retired but self employed, a small gardening operation that grows a bit each year. I even do winter work, spent the morning at a customers chipping ice to keep her garage from flooding.lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Gemma. Those ones I bought years ago from Costco, I just keep dividing them every year. I should buy a couple different ones maybe. I did try several tall varieties way back but they just didn't do well at all for me.

Thanks vette-kid. Not retired but self employed, a small gardening operation that grows a bit each year. I even do winter work, spent the morning at a customers chipping ice to keep her garage from flooding.lol
Well at least o feel better knowing you are in the business! No way of could keep up with that!

I've found cannas incredibly hardy. I had some in full shade and some in full sun. Some varieties are happy in bogs, many are drought tolerant. I find one article that mentioned there are 411 varieties of Canna!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

How do you overwinter them please, Johnny? This year, I have about 15 as I raised them from seeds last year and bought a Sturggart variety (reduced and variegated £1.99 couldn't say no) They are about 3 to 5 inches tall but they have tons of holes because of some kind of bugs!

I am all for a contest, but please provide a reminder from time to time as I don't even know where my spring flower thread gone! LOL! Spring??? It's has no meaning!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Gemma , what varieties do you grow? I'm not even sure of what all I had at the old house. There were 5 different ones, the only two I'm sure of are Pretoria and Tropicana.

I've got several variegated on order, plus I bright a Pretoria and Tropicana with me to this house. I also have a red King Humbert and considering a pewter moon (12-15ft)
I have the red King H., the yellow, rose and Scarlett Cannova, the Musifolia
I just purchased the ones I used to have: ,Tropicana P., Tangelo, M. Malcolm and a few I never had: Pretoria, Srtiped Beauty, Robert Kemp, Tropical Sunrise, Rosemond Cole and Pink Futurity

My Cannas are scattered allover my house awaiting to be transferred in the temporary greenhouse, they are just now popping out of the ground

I never heard of the Pewter moon, I'll have to check it out

Ask a Question