Canna problems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can someone tell me what's going on here? Some of them have almost a burnt look, but others look great. We had almost 3 inches of rain last week, alittle more the week prior, gets watered x2 weekly in absence of rain. Bananas around it are thriving. Is this a pest maybe?
20170902_142908.jpg
20170902_142915.jpg
20170902_142921.jpg
20170902_142956.jpg
20170902_143012.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like a virus problem vette-kid in pictures 1 and 2.
I think hot sun has done damage too.....has it been hot there? Cannas need plenty of water to look their best.
Thirdly, slug and snail damage (n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Have you been feeding your Canna 's, quite a hungry plant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seen a lot of damaged cannas this year esp from nurseries and garden centres where watering has been neglected and where they were growing in hot positions. One nursery had them thus and I persuaded her to move them outside and to soak with water. Recovery was dramatic.
Re virus, this is a fast developing problem on cannas. Esp on varieties like Phasion and Pretoria and the virus can be seen criss crossing the variegation. Plants weaken over the growing season and their deteriorating foliage attracts slugs and snails. Check for this and burn suspect plants :). Use clean sterilised pruners etc too to avoid passing virus onto other varieties:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Have you been feeding your Canna 's, quite a hungry plant.
They do get a little 10-10-10 about every 4-6 weeks. Never feed them before and I have 2 more beds that don't get any fertilizer and look fine. The two variegated are new this year from the big box store about 3 months ago. Hopefully o didn't introduce disease!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've always heard that since canna lilies are very similar to plants in the family of bananas and therefore are heavy feeders and like lots of water. Made sense, until the other day when I went to the beach and saw them basically growing in sand at the far side of the beach where all the sea oats are growing.

I keep observing contradictory things from what I've read....:confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've always heard that since canna lilies are very similar to plants in the family of bananas and therefore are heavy feeders and like lots of water. Made sense, until the other day when I went to the beach and saw them basically growing in sand at the far side of the beach where all the sea oats are growing.

I keep observing contradictory things from what I've read....:confused:
I've seen canna grow in all kinds of conditions. From sand to IN a swamp with water a few inches up the stalk, some in heavy shade, others in full sun. Crazy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know this thread is old, but I need to post a lot about Canna hoping the love I have for this beautiful plant rubs off on others and together we can convince Admins to give it its own forum (or at least a forum for bulbs and rhizomes
smhappydance.gif

@vette-kid how are your Canna doing this year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Funny you should ask. We no longer live in the same house a when I started this thread, but I was over there today (not sold yet... Closing soon...I hope). They are coming in beautifully. I did dig some up to bring over here and they too are starting to pop up. Sadly no mature mats like I had at the other place. In time though. So far Pretoria, Tropicana and white ginger have popped. I ordered some other variegated varieties but they have not arrived yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Funny you should ask. We no longer live in the same house a when I started this thread, but I was over there today (not sold yet... Closing soon...I hope). They are coming in beautifully. I did dig some up to bring over here and they too are starting to pop up. Sadly no mature mats like I had at the other place. In time though. So far Pretoria, Tropicana and white ginger have popped. I ordered some other variegated varieties but they have not arrived yet.
I bet they will be beautiful, and I hope you will be posting a lot of pics so I can enjoy them too:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, all of my recently purchased Canna (about 15) turned out to be virus infected, even though the supplier had promised they weren't gonna be, so I'll have to start over and search for new plants
smcrying.gif

The supplier refunded 100% of my money, but I'm still not happy, we'll never get rid of these viruses if they don't stop putting sick plants on the market
smnono.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that! I ordered bulbs. They are at the house now so hope to get them in ground this weekend

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that! I ordered bulbs. They are at the house now so hope to get them in ground this weekend
What kind did you get?
I've had the Cannova series in pink, yellow and the Scarlet, I just ordered a few from the Elite series cause they're certified virus free as well....but I miss the older kinds like Tropicana, Robert Kemp, Pretoria, Malcolm and most of all I would love to try growing a Cleopatra but I bought it twice and both time it was virus infected...I won't give up though, I love Cannas too much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What kind did you get?
I've had the Cannova series in pink, yellow and the Scarlet, I just ordered a few from the Elite series cause they're certified virus free as well....but I miss the older kinds like Tropicana, Robert Kemp, Pretoria, Malcolm and most of all I would love to try growing a Cleopatra but I bought it twice and both time it was virus infected...I won't give up though, I love Cannas too much!

Inferno, striata, pink sunburst, Stuttgart, and Bengal tiger. Got a bunch of freebies with it too. Day Lilly, strawberry, giant double peony, balloon flower and gladiolas. Will see how they turn out. They came while I was away and the wife won't touch them. Supposed to all be bulbs so they should be fine.

Ask a Question