Canna Lily 2018

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love many flowering plants, but I find Canna Lily to be a true addiction! It comes in so many different colors, shapes and sizes,
I discovered my first Canna,(Tropicana) shopping for water plants, back then it was just a pretty plant I kept in my koi pond and treated as annual, but once I found out that it grows just as good in dirt, AND it can be stored for the winter, to re plant every Spring, that's when I became totally addicted!....and so happened to my mom and sisters as well, after I introduced them to this beautiful plant, they had no idea existed

I'm going to use this thread, to keep a log of my 2018 Canna experience, starting with my recent purchase: Pink Sunburst, Pretoria and African Sunset 3newcannas.jpg I've always wanted these, but after the Canna virus outbreak, finding healthy plants became a task.
These weren't sold as rhizomes, they came in the mail. I just removed them from the box, they didn't even seem to have been in a dark for days
All my other Canna are either in the Greenhouse, or somewhere in the house. So far only one is blooming, a Cannova Bronze Orange bronze orange.jpg I have so many, and I love'em all!!
smbeatingheart.gif

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely new plants. The variegated leaves are just so pretty. My canna leaves are full of hopes. They are languishing at the back of the garden. I just have too many plants.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My canna lilies have flowered, but after sowing such a lot of hard work, the flowers are just pathetic. I don't even bother to photo them as they have been under sustained attacks and they are pathetically small!

Can't wait to see your lovely variegated lily to bloom, @Gemma !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I use to have problems with my canna lilies flowering, but after heavily mulching the area the grow in they now flower all the time; however, since my garden is much like a jungle and they are in the center of it, something loves eating away at their leaves. And not just little holes eaten away, but huge sections of the leaves are gone, yet somehow the plants survive:confused:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My canna lilies have flowered, but after sowing such a lot of hard work, the flowers are just pathetic. I don't even bother to photo them as they have been under sustained attacks and they are pathetically small!

Can't wait to see your lovely variegated lily to bloom, @Gemma !
This might sound crazy to you, but if you feel that way towards your Canna you might contribute to its poor health....try loving it no matter how bad it looks! Love and praise can do miracles!

I have the Cannova series that has been blooming for over a month now, I just need to get out there and shoot some pics.
I use to have problems with my canna lilies flowering, but after heavily mulching the area the grow in they now flower all the time; however, since my garden is much like a jungle and they are in the center of it, something loves eating away at their leaves. And not just little holes eaten away, but huge sections of the leaves are gone, yet somehow the plants survive:confused:
Cannas are a staple food in some countries so I take it they must taste pretty good!:D
You live in a totally different climate than me, I have no idea what insects you might have there
I would love to see pics of yours! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is the shortest canna I have, and one of the first ones to bloom.
I forgot the name of it so if anyone recognizes, I'd love to know which kind it is.
Aside from being beautiful it has a very distinctive leaves that tend to be rounded, very few are pointy...it was rainy so pic. quality is not so great, sorry
CannaOrange.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Same here. The whole bunch now looks flowerless and full of holes, but they are alive alright.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This is the shortest canna I have, and one of the first ones to bloom.
I forgot the name of it so if anyone recognizes, I'd love to know which kind it is.
Aside from being beautiful it has a very distinctive leaves that tend to be rounded, very few are pointy...it was rainy so pic. quality is not so great, sorryView attachment 40096

Very pretty! Gemma - clever girl. How come mine looks so desolate and buggy!:cry:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Very pretty! Gemma - clever girl. How come mine looks so desolate and buggy!:cry:
Could be a number of reasons why yours is struggling!
Canna basic needs are: plenty of sun, plenty of water and plenty of organic matter, of course you would read special needs when it comes to soil, but I've seen people growing beautiful cannas in all sorts of soils so we gonna leave that out. The very most important thing of all, is to start with an healthy plant! ..... unfortunately there are more virus infected cannas on the market, than there are healthy ones.

Now, would you please show me your canna?
smsmile.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
I love many flowering plants, but I find Canna Lily to be a true addiction! It comes in so many different colors, shapes and sizes,
I discovered my first Canna,(Tropicana) shopping for water plants, back then it was just a pretty plant I kept in my koi pond and treated as annual, but once I found out that it grows just as good in dirt, AND it can be stored for the winter, to re plant every Spring, that's when I became totally addicted!....and so happened to my mom and sisters as well, after I introduced them to this beautiful plant, they had no idea existed

I'm going to use this thread, to keep a log of my 2018 Canna experience, starting with my recent purchase: Pink Sunburst, Pretoria and African Sunset View attachment 36955 I've always wanted these, but after the Canna virus outbreak, finding healthy plants became a task.
These weren't sold as rhizomes, they came in the mail. I just removed them from the box, they didn't even seem to have been in a dark for days
All my other Canna are either in the Greenhouse, or somewhere in the house. So far only one is blooming, a Cannova Bronze Orange View attachment 36956 I have so many, and I love'em all!! View attachment 36957
Yes Canna are a beautiful plant and here in Somerset United Kingdom, they do well in sandy soil near the coast. We leave ours in the ground all year as the rhizomes have got so large now that it would be too difficult to get them out without causing damage, ours grow to about 6feettall and mostly red and orange, love the dark foliage as much as the flowers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes Canna are a beautiful plant and here in Somerset United Kingdom, they do well in sandy soil near the coast. We leave ours in the ground all year as the rhizomes have got so large now that it would be too difficult to get them out without causing damage, ours grow to about 6feettall and mostly red and orange, love the dark foliage as much as the flowers
Most of mine are hybrids, they've improved the blooms, at the expense of the leaves.
I still have a red King H. that has large blooms and large leaves, but it doesn't bloom as early

Do you have pics of your cannas to share?
20170814_133933 (1).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I don't as some of my clients value their privacy and prefer that I don't share photos of their space, of course I have to respect their wishes.

Ask a Question