Bananas for your roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Pat, I had no idea that eggshells and coffee are good for roses:). Thank you for the tip! Has anyone else tried it? So far, I only experimented a little with tea. I had washed my roses with it, but nothing happened:p They have always looked healthy though.

Reaction score
I have always used eggshells and coffee around my plants and in my compost. I put so much in there and of course put banana peels in but I did not know they specifically benefitted roses. I learn something knew every time I come here. Thanks!

Reaction score
I always take part in throwing bananas wherever I can. I try to throw them into a compost bin I have, but sometimes I just throw them in my garden, as they decompose really fast. They rot very quickly right before they decompose due to micro-organisms! Just an interesting fact that I thought I'd share.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I made up a spray bottle of banana liquid feed but to be honest the smell stinks

Reaction score
I collect a decent amount of banana peels and eggshells. Then I blend them with a small amount of coffee grounds adding some milk. Using enough milk I grind the mixture to a lumpy milkshake. Then I pour it on rose plants and vegetable plants. Try this method I bet your plant will bloom healthier and better than ever.
I have never heard of this recipe and I am going to give it a try next spring. I can see how it would be beneficial but have never seen it applied to roses.

Reaction score
This is a great tip. May I ask what is in the banana peels that aids in the growth of Roses, specifically? It is a very interesting tip. I will be planting new rose bushes next spring, and will definitely use this tip when planting and adding the new soil.

Last question, How often do yo add the banana peels to the soil on the ground?

Reaction score
This is a great tip. May I ask what is in the banana peels that aids in the growth of Roses, specifically? It is a very interesting tip. I will be planting new rose bushes next spring, and will definitely use this tip when planting and adding the new soil.

Last question, How often do yo add the banana peels to the soil on the ground?

Banana peels contain high amounts of potassium which roses love, and it helps them produce an abundant quantity of larger blooms for longer, which is why many commercial and organic rose growers, now use banana peels as a fertilizer for their roses.
As this tip has caught your attention and you are planning to plant new rose bushes in the spring, think you may well be very interested in the thread entitled ' Save your banana peels for your plants ' which is under the ' Composting and Recycling ' section, especially as it contains a lot of helpful information on how to prepare banana peels for use as a fertilizer as well as various methods of applying it.:)

Reaction score
Banana peels contain high amounts of potassium which roses love, and it helps them produce an abundant quantity of larger blooms for longer, which is why many commercial and organic rose growers, now use banana peels as a fertilizer for their roses.
As this tip has caught your attention and you are planning to plant new rose bushes in the spring, think you may well be very interested in the thread entitled ' Save your banana peels for your plants ' which is under the ' Composting and Recycling ' section, especially as it contains a lot of helpful information on how to prepare banana peels for use as a fertilizer as well as various methods of applying it.:)

Great information. I will check the thread, as it is very much what I will be needing in the very near future. Potassium has so many health benefits, no wonder it is a preferred item by the Roses.

If a Rose can grow even more beautiful then that is a very good thing.

Reaction score
I love this idea. It sounds like something i would read in the Farmer's Almanac. I have rose bushes that run along both sides of my property. I'll start saving my banana peels and make sure I feed the roses with them. I hope my neighbors don't laugh at me when they see me "planting bananas"!

Reaction score
Hi Greenie - lol - they won't be laughing for long - as it will be you that will be chuckling in the end - especially if they too grow roses and they see that yours are much stronger, healthier and bloom more abundantly for longer - because you've been fertilizing them with banana peels.

As there are varies ways of preparing banana peels for use as fertilizer - I have provided a link to one of our other threads called " Save your banana peels for your plants " here

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/save-your-banana-peels-for-your-plants.837/

which I think that you might find useful - especially as it contains useful information on how to prepare banana peels for use as fertilizer as well as the various methods of applying it :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have heard that, thanks for the tip, I have a small rose garden so I will try to add a peel. I did try to do that one time but the dog found it and had a good time playing with it. I have also heard used coffee grounds sprinkled around the plant is useful. Any one ever try that?

I also feed my roses coffee grounds and tea leafs. Crushed eggshells are also good for the garden I do not do the eggshells often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I collect a decent amount of banana peels and eggshells. Then I blend them with a small amount of coffee grounds adding some milk. Using enough milk I grind the mixture to a lumpy milkshake. Then I pour it on rose plants and vegetable plants. Try this method I bet your plant will bloom healthier and better than ever.
Thanks! I am definitely gonna try it. :)

Reaction score
Is there a certain amount of each ingredient you need to put?

Reaction score
Really? What an awesome idea. I would have never thought something like this will work. I'm going to eat a banana tomorrow morning, ha ha.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have put banana peels and coffee and tea in my plants indoors and out for years, I also add egg shells to the mix when I feed my plants.

Ask a Question