Bananas for your roses

Reaction score
Oh! I have been doing that for a long time and yes, as you said, it does give bigger and longer blooms. I am glad there are other people also who follow the same.
By the way, i found out that coffee grounds also work. I never knew that thing. I am glad I dropped by here and learnt a few tips.
Thank you for sharing.
I collect a decent amount of banana peels and eggshells. Then I blend them with a small amount of coffee grounds adding some milk. Using enough milk I grind the mixture to a lumpy milkshake. Then I pour it on rose plants and vegetable plants. Try this method I bet your plant will bloom healthier and better than ever.

Thank you so much for this. I will definitely try this out asap. Hope it turns out really well. I just love roses and I do take extra care for my rose plants.

Reaction score
I think I am going to try the mixture but I am gonna add rabbit poop to it since they say nothing has to be done to rabbit poop. (poop is why I keep rabbits)

Reaction score
You can also try Used Tea.Grinded egg shells and tea does wonders to my money plant and roses.

Reaction score
Going back to the banana peel and the rose, thanks so much for the tip Sissy! I do not have a rose in my garden but I have some flowers there that I am having a hard time growing, This might be of help. My little man loves bananas, too! And now we have a use of the banana peel! Yey! Thanks so much for that wonderful contribution.

Now when it comes to keeping off bugs and ants, the coffee grounds is proven effective. That is where my used coffee grounds go, as a matter of fact. It effectively repels those crawling creatures.

It is always nice to read ideas like this. Moreso, it is nice to find out other possible uses of what could have been just trash for us.

Reaction score
I love bananas, I do not have a rose garden but I will take all of the neat advice when it comes to using the peels. I think I am going to give the rabbit mixture a try.

Reaction score
I use the same recipie except I also add honey. I have found that my roses love honey and the blooms last longer too. When I have fresh cut roses, I add honey to the water. It seems to make the blossom more fragrant.

I collect a decent amount of banana peels and eggshells. Then I blend them with a small amount of coffee grounds adding some milk. Using enough milk I grind the mixture to a lumpy milkshake. Then I pour it on rose plants and vegetable plants. Try this method I bet your plant will bloom healthier and better than ever.

Reaction score
Brilliant! We always use our garden to compost when nothing is planted in there and toss in eggshells, coffee grounds, fruit and veggie leavings. I never thought of grinding stuff up and putting it on the roses!

Reaction score
I never heard of that tip, but it does make sense. I used to have a teacher who would eat a banana every day with lunch, and then take the peel home in the paper bag to put in his compost. He told us bananas made great compost!

Reaction score
I have some potted miniature roses, would this work?
Maybe not bury the whole peel as they aren't the largest flower pots, but maybe cut up some pieces?

Reaction score
I have always heard this tip but never really knew if it was actually useful or not, it seems that it is! Thanks for the reminder I think I will begin doing this again as I had generally forgot.

dim

Reaction score
unless you buy organic bananas, I would not add the peels to my plants or compost bins

they spray bananas with toxic chemicals/pesticides before shipping them (check google) ... rather buy a small tub of bat guano for cheap and add a tablespoon of that to your plants once in a while ...(there are different bat guanos ... some high in N, and some high in P & K)

as for watering with honey, you will get better results using organic unsulphered Blackstrap Molasses .... add two heaped tablespoons in a watering can, fill with water and let it stand for a couple of hours, then mix .... water your plants with that .... it's good for the microbes beneath the soil ... it's cheaper, available from most health shops (or online), and much better

as for coffee grinds .... use in moderation as it changes the ph of the soil .... I have added some to my compost bins, but will not mulch with it around my plants

;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I try to save any banana peels, and have put them under roses, tomato plants, and even some of the other shrubs that I have growing. I have not seen any spectacular results, but I do think that it is good for the plants, and sure can't hurt anything.
Another thing that I have done is to put alfalfa pellets on the hole when I am planting something , and it breaks down into nutrients for the plants.
When I had rabbits, I used the rabbit manure, and kept a large tub underneath to collect the manure to put under the plants.

Reaction score
I myself am a person who tends to eat about two bananas everyday. I normally just throw it into my vegetable garden and it usually disappears! Okay, so I'm exaggerating it, but it turns black and slowly shrinks away. Well that's what I have seen it do.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been grinding up the eggshells along with coffee and what ever else that is natural and putting it around my rose bush. There happen to be a few tomatoe seeds in the mix which grew into plants giving me a few tomatoes. I enjoyed having the tomatoes for free.

Ask a Question