bananas?

Reaction score
Can you plant bananas or do you have to just plant a tree and wait years for the actual tree to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you plant bananas or do you have to just plant a tree and wait years for the actual tree to grow.
You can buy banana seeds but they are extremely difficult to germinate, not for the average home gardner or the above average gardner for that matter. Most if not all commercial bananas do not have seeds, so no you cannot just plant a banana

Reaction score
I'm guessing that planting a banana tree is extremely difficult, I don't know the exact details, but I'm guessing it does take a long while for the tree to produce fruit.. Just like it happens with the other trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know that bananas need a specific climate to grow, tropical to be exact. They do not grow anywhere naturally in the US as far as I know. I think it would be extremely difficult to get them to grow any time soon as the trees have to be mature.

Reaction score

If you wish to grow bananas - planting a banana in your garden in the hope that it would materialize into a banana tree or plant - would - apart from being a total waste of time and a good banana - not be the recommended way of doing it - as apart from the reasons Chuck has already mentioned - its not the way commercial growers use either.

If you really are wanting to grow a banana plant or tree and live in a climate that would be suitable for growing bananas - the most successful way of acquiring a fruit bearing banana plant or tree - would be to buy either the rhizomes or a young plant from your local nursery - as there are many varieties that grow extremely quickly and would give you fruit within 6 to 9 months after planting.

I would however just add that - as banana plants are often sold as ornamental foliage plants - its always best to check that you are buying a fruiting variety and not an ornamental :)

Reaction score
I'm guessing that planting a banana tree is extremely difficult, I don't know the exact details, but I'm guessing it does take a long while for the tree to produce fruit.. Just like it happens with the other trees.
That's what i imagined. I should just go to Jamaica and load up on them.

Reaction score
I know that bananas need a specific climate to grow, tropical to be exact. They do not grow anywhere naturally in the US as far as I know. I think it would be extremely difficult to get them to grow any time soon as the trees have to be mature.
You're right, i should just look for a place to buy them in bulk wholesale or something.

Reaction score
You can buy banana seeds but they are extremely difficult to germinate, not for the average home gardner or the above average gardner for that matter. Most if not all commercial bananas do not have seeds, so no you cannot just plant a banana
Yeah i am fresh out of luck. My banana cravings are starting to get to expensive though.

Bee

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I am not sure how to grow bananas but they are definitely one of my favorite fruit and would like to know how to grow them.I enjoy growing my own food anyways so I will add bananas to my list when I move back to Puerto Rico.I saw so many banana trees in Puerto Rico that were in people's backyards but most of them didn't pay much attention to the abundance of fruit trees they have.Not too many people show much appreciation of the beauty of mother nature and how it correlates to human nature.I would take a local homegrown banana over store bought ones any day.

Reaction score
I have never grown bananas from seeds i usually just get a few suckers from persons in my community and have them planted and i must say they thrive very well. i really don't think persons in the Caribbean encounter much problem in getting bananas for cultivation as it's widely available.

Ask a Question