Pickled Bananas?

Reaction score
It's true that you should expect to learn new things everyday. However, this one really takes the cake. I've had fried bananas, and banana pudding. However, until today I never knew you could pickle a banana.
Pickled_banana_in_banana_syrup_no_honey.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
The things they make in Thailand... :sick: It looks like they used the mini bananas. It's definitely something I wouldn't want to try. :LOL: I'll stick to fresh bananas, thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did you buy this and try it or did you just stumble up on it online? It sounds incredibly weird, but I wonder if they are in banana syrup maybe they are just preserved like canned fruit? And not actually pickled in the traditional sense... or maybe there is some loss in translation?

Reaction score
Did you buy this and try it or did you just stumble up on it online? It sounds incredibly weird, but I wonder if they are in banana syrup maybe they are just preserved like canned fruit? And not actually pickled in the traditional sense... or maybe there is some loss in translation?
No, I didn't try it myself. Let's hope you're correct and that they aren't actually pickled in the technical sense. However, bananas in syrup? That just seems like too much of a good thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
This made me really curious so I Googled pickled bananas. Most of the results were for banana peppers, but I found one site which had some recipes for "pickled bananas". Strangely most of the recipes were for cucumbers, not bananas at all.

I did find one recipe for Pickled Green Bananas though. I don't usually do much cooking, but I'm so curious that I might just try this one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, I didn't try it myself. Let's hope you're correct and that they aren't actually pickled in the technical sense. However, bananas in syrup? That just seems like too much of a good thing.
Haha you know, I am not sure how I feel about either one of those things. Bananas in syrup seem too heavy. I wonder if they eat it straight or use for something like baking maybe.

Reaction score
Haha you know, I am not sure how I feel about either one of those things. Bananas in syrup seem too heavy. I wonder if they eat it straight or use for something like baking maybe.
That is a very good point. They must be used in cooking. I just couldn't imagine eating these straight from the jar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This sounds so gross to me. Why would anyone want to pickle a banana anyway? Wouldn't it get mushy sitting in the syrup? I am going to pass on this one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This sounds so gross to me. Why would anyone want to pickle a banana anyway? Wouldn't it get mushy sitting in the syrup? I am going to pass on this one.
Lol that is what we are all wondering, I can't stay away from this thread in hopes someone has eaten it and can enlighten us!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love fresh bananas and would not want to scar myself for the rest of my life trying a pickled banana it just seems so wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The whole point of a pickled banana just seems wrong to me as well. Bananas are supposed to be sweet and tropical, not all dilly and sour. I really want to hear from someone who has tried these as well. I am not going to be the one to go out and get a jar!

Bee

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Wow. I've never heard of pickled bananas.I can only imagine how sweet the syrup is.I just recently found out about "red" bananas and been doing my research.I will now being doing an extensive research on pickled bananas and what countries are they most used.I read that red bananas are available all year round and they are plumper,shorter and much heartier than the usual yellow bananas.Red banana's are also known to have more beta carotene and vitamin c than the varieties of yellow banana's.

Reaction score
Country
United States
THESE. LOOK. AMAZING.

I'm sorry, this might be weird, but I'd eat the heck out of these. They're probably super good for you, also!

Reaction score
Wow this one is news to me...i just don't know what to say as i can't even imagine how pickle bananas would taste....somehow i'm thinking i would like to give it a try just to satisfy my curiosity.

Ask a Question