Do you plant bananas?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I live in a country with tropical weather and banana plants are everywhere.. I'm not sure if bananas are able to survive in four seasoned countries. Wherever there's a vacant land.. there is 90% chance you'll see banana too and not only one but many though I never seen anyone who plant a banana so I'm curious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Bananas can grow almost anywhere with a warm weather season, but they do die back in freezing weather. People here don't mind the die back because bananas can be invasive and this cycle of nature helps to control the spread. I would like to grow bananas in my yard if I could contain them. They attract wildlife though, and I'm not keen on the idea of going out and finding a raccoon (or even two-legged critters) trying to steal my bananas (I saw one doing that in someone else's yard).

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I grew one from seed once, it very quickly got to the size where I had to cut a barrel in half to plant it in.

They won't survive a uk winter without seriously wrapping up though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
That's something I might try. I doubt they would survive a NY winter but I'll plant it in a large enough container where I can 2 wheel it around. Sort of like a dog and pony show kind of thing. I'm always looking for something new to do and that right there would be a challenge.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
From what country are you from? There are lots here in our country, too. Like it can be seen almost everywhere. But as I have heard and tested, they are not very hard to grow. Though I agree when somebody in this thread posted that it attracts wildlife.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know how well the banana plant would do in my area, I know it would die during winter, right now it is 20 degrees out. Summer it would be okay we get very humid here, but I am not interested to fighting off critters in the yard.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
We have banana tree's in the tropics and I see them a lot of the time except obviously in winter but I do know that when there is not enough rain or too much rain they cant grow

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wish I could plant banana tress in my area. That would nice. The weather her is not adequate enough for that. Well Ill just have to try other trees.

Reaction score
Musa Bajoo is a banana plant that is very hardy. I had a nice one before the utility company used that spot as a parking lot one summer! As long as it is heavily mulched it will survive below 0 F weather, These will not ever bloom or bear bananas because here in one 5 they die back to the ground every winter, even when mulched. Here in zone 5 the only bananas are the ones that are being carefully taken care of!

Some folks love their banana plants so much they will dig up their plants in the Fall, trim the leaves, and winter them inside. While I do enjoy bananas I do not know that I would work that hard for the possibiliy of raising my own fruit!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will love to try a banana tree, I just got a catalog from Gurneys and they sell banana plants. A local guy here in NY was selling banana plants in Craigslist last year, 2 x $50 2-4 ft tall. I'll get a 55 gallon container cut it in half and plant the banana plants there to see if they grow. I love the idea.

Reaction score
My banana tree used to have sprouts around the base of the tree every year, and assuming that is normal then the man in New York may have more small trees to offer this summer.

And, this is a banana forum: http://www.bananas.org and some of the members will sell baby trees by mail. That is how I got my banana tree that will be old enough to plant outside this summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I planted and dug them up in the fall for years
I started with 1 by the time I got tired of digging them up each fall I had over 80
I try to grow only plants that belong In my zone now
Plant it and your done

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted and dug them up in the fall for years
I started with 1 by the time I got tired of digging them up each fall I had over 80
I try to grow only plants that belong In my zone now
Plant it and your done

Ha Ha, well I'll order one from catalog"Dwarf Banana" and that's it.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
From what country are you from? There are lots here in our country, too. Like it can be seen almost everywhere. But as I have heard and tested, they are not very hard to grow. Though I agree when somebody in this thread posted that it attracts wildlife.

I live in the Philippines just like you :D Most wild animals I see around are wild birds.

Ask a Question