Frozen Bananas - a childhood memory

Reaction score
The Flower Lollipops thread set me to thinking. I remember as a kid my mum used to freeze bananas (we lived in Australia at the time) and we would eat these like ice-lollies. They were, I seem to remember, fantastic:

images

She also used to dip them in chocolate and roll them in nuts before freezing which was an extra special treat! I was wondering if anyone else has any different ideas for quick and nutritious snacks using produce from the garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I never had frozen bananas but they sound great especially with the chocolate and nuts. I have had homemade blueberry popsicles. I never made them so I had to look the recipe up online. Blueberries are very good for you so this would be good for our kids and us.

• 2 cups (1 pint) fresh blueberries
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup water
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    Stir first 3 ingredients in a pan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until berries have burst, about 5 minutes.Mix in lemon juice. Cool to room temperature, then pour into molds and freeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Frozen bananas sound like a delicious treat, I love the idea, because it's so simple. I'll definitely try it out. Thank you for sharing it! It's exciting, I'm sure that my boyfriend will love it.
How long does it take to freeze a banana? I've never done it before, so I prefer to ask before I try:p
Blueberry popsicles sound yummy too!:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Frozen bananas sound like a delicious treat, I love the idea, because it's so simple. I'll definitely try it out. Thank you for sharing it! It's exciting, I'm sure that my boyfriend will love it.
How long does it take to freeze a banana? I've never done it before, so I prefer to ask before I try:p
I was wondering the same thing about freezing a banana and looked it up. The answer ranged anywhere from 40 to 60 minutes which isn't bad. Good luck, claudine and let us know how they turn out:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
40 or 60 minutes? This is really quick:). I thought that maybe I will have to put them in the freezer for the whole night.
Thank you for the tip!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
40 or 60 minutes? This is really quick:). I thought that maybe I will have to put them in the freezer for the whole night.
Thank you for the tip!:)
I was a bit surprised how quickly they freeze, too. Thanks to google for the information:)

Reaction score

I think it only takes a few hours.

Reaction score
Frozen bananas are so tasty! Just make sure that you peel them first -- trust me!

My mom used to make these for me all the time. She never dipped them in chocolate and nuts, although I think that would be delicious. I think her whole plan was to come up with something healthier, though, so...

I need to go freeze some bananas right now!

Reaction score
My mother used to make these for us when we were children. She's let us go crazy on the chocolate and nuts--she let's us "design" our own bananas. We would get so impatient and we'd sneak a peek and see if our bananas are frozen or not every five minutes. We'd also snatch a few nuts if we feel too impatient.

Reaction score
I definitely do remember being WAY too impatient for my frozen bananas to freeze. I am definitely going to have to pick up some bananas and do this. It's the perfect idea for summer.

Reaction score
My mom used to do the same, minus the pecans part! She also liked to prepare a really nice dessert using bananas, cream and some sugar! I love that one! It was like strawberries & cream, but instead of strawberries we used bananas! It was amazing and to this day this is my favorite dessert, but only when done at home and by me!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never had a frozen banana, I have seen them dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts but have not tried them. They are eaten so fast in this house I would have to purchase the bananas and freeze them as soon as I got home. Plan to try this soon.

Reaction score
I love frozen bananas, but I don't care for them too much when fresh. For some reason, frozen bananas just taste like a delicious creamy treat. =)

Ask a Question