Overfertilizing roses?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I live in Winnipeg Canada, Zone 3. The only roses we can grow here are hardy roses, which I have been doing for many years so I do know a bit about roses. However, my blooming success is limited. They are always healthy plants, great foliage growth, but after their first year the blooming decreases significantly. I was told at the nursery to give them manure every 2nd year and bone meal on the alternate years. I use MiracleGro for roses once a month until the end of July. I know that I am planting them correctly, with the soil above the graft. They are in a full sun location and are watered regularly. Any advice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would NOT use Miracle Gro. It's probably OK short term but in the long run it actually depletes soil micro-organisms which are essential in nutrient uptake. Use a fertilizer with a HIGH middle number. Phosphorus increases blooms. Bone meal is a great source for phophorus but it is slow acting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I was told at the nursery to give them manure every 2nd year and bone meal on the alternate years.

I presume you mean just once a year? That isn't enough for roses. I feed my roses early Spring every year with some form of manure, more recently I've used chicken manure pellets and watered them in.They are then fed again in May and towards the end of July with a granular fish blood and bone meal mix. No later than that because they need to settle before winter dormancy.

I agree with Chuck and would stop using the Miracle Gro.

I know that I am planting them correctly, with the soil above the graft.

Interesting, we tend to plant them here with the graft above soil level.

Ask a Question