Help me save my roses!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A3D8F5D9-6337-495A-B963-A9FD0B5B69E9.jpeg When my grandma passed away 10 years ago the only thing I took was her yellow rose bush. As a child she would cut them for me to take to my teachers at school! I had no problems for the past ten years. I know this rose bush is around 40 years old. But my heart is breaking that it is dying. Yesterday I dug it up. I transplanted into a pot to try and save. Please any help would be appricated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Everything has a lifespan. Why not take some cuttings and have a very young identical rose?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I myself now use half compost and half sand as compost for cuttings.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You could still do it. Can we have a pic of the green shoots in close up please? I lot of people buy their roses bare root - much cheaper, but you don't know if they are dead if you are a novice! You need to cut strategically so that enough material is included. Or sterilise the compost and incorporate some sand or perlite to make the compost free-draining and pot the whole thing up. Don't be scared as we have all been there! You can do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could still do it. Can we have a pic of the green shoots in close up please? I lot of people buy their roses bare root - much cheaper, but you don't know if they are dead if you are a novice! You need to cut strategically so that enough material is included. Or sterilise the compost and incorporate some sand or perlite to make the compost free-draining and pot the whole thing up. Don't be scared as we have all been there! You can do it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It is alive. I would trim off the bits like this

Untitled-1.jpg

I guess you might be scared cutting anything off.

I am going to call for the rose expert @marlingardener to give you proper advice. Ring, ring! @marlingardener , your phone is ringing! Hehe!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Before Dr Rose turns up, have a look at this video

Not complete, but give you the gist!

Ask a Question