Help me save my roses!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hope I am wrong but from the pictures it appears that this is a grafted rose and if so the cuttings or in this case the little shoots will not be true. I could be wrong as 40 years is a long time for a grafted rose to live but those shoots are not coming from the trunk of the bush but are coming from the larger portion of the trunk where a graft would be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hope I am wrong but from the pictures it appears that this is a grafted rose and if so the cuttings or in this case the little shoots will not be true. I could be wrong as 40 years is a long time for a grafted rose to live but those shoots are not coming from the trunk of the bush but are coming from the larger portion of the trunk where a graft would be.
:( so it is impossible to save?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rebecca, despite Alp's inflated view of my expertise, I will chime in with my experience.
The 40 year old rose may be a rose growing on its own root, and is not grafted. If so, remove any dead material, put the remaining root and sprouts in a large container of potting soil, and keep it in the shade for a couple of weeks.keep the soil damp but not soggy. If leaves start to appear, move the container to a semi-shaded spot. Roses are a lot tougher than we think--they have survived ocean voyages and several hundred years!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rebecca, despite Alp's inflated view of my expertise, I will chime in with my experience.
The 40 year old rose may be a rose growing on its own root, and is not grafted. If so, remove any dead material, put the remaining root and sprouts in a large container of potting soil, and keep it in the shade for a couple of weeks.keep the soil damp but not soggy. If leaves start to appear, move the container to a semi-shaded spot. Roses are a lot tougher than we think--they have survived ocean voyages and several hundred years!
Thank you! I did dig out yesterday and put in a pot... but I put it in the sun. I will move it. I have a feeling our bad winter... and my rose bush being near my driveway where there was so much salt this past winter may be the issue. I did scrape the upper part and I did find green.
Everyone wanted something from my grandma... jewelry.. furniture... I just wanted these yellow roses. My grandfather would always buy her yellow roses for every occasion. I just love watching them bloom every summer in my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you! I did dig out yesterday and put in a pot... but I put it in the sun. I will move it. I have a feeling our bad winter... and my rose bush being near my driveway where there was so much salt this past winter may be the issue. I did scrape the upper part and I did find green.
Everyone wanted something from my grandma... jewelry.. furniture... I just wanted these yellow roses. My grandfather would always buy her yellow roses for every occasion. I just love watching them bloom every summer in my yard.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone wanted something from my grandma... jewelry.. furniture... I just wanted these yellow roses.

You belong to this forum, then. I myself would get some clean half compost and half sand all mixed to nurture the root first and see how it goes.

Ask a Question