Please help save my beloved Fatsia!

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dear all,
Until very recently my Fatsia was thriving. It was a beautiful deep green, glossy, and growing non-stop. I repotted it, as roots were starting to venture outside the pot, and now I think I might have been too hasty. The leaves are yellowing with brittle brown edges, and random brown spots. (See picture attached)
My books on indoor plants tell me that it needs more water, which I did, but there must be something else going on! Is it lacking some kind of nutrients in the soil? Is it a disease?
Any advice about how to save him would mean a lot - he is the first house plant I bought for my new flat, it would break my heart to see him go!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn`t ever see Fatsia as a houseplant, as it will grow very very big. I think it might be trying to tell you it wants to go in a nice shady place in the garden, and be fed a lovely dinner :)

As an afterthought part shade, part sun would be ok, but in a sheltered spot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi Tetters, thank you for your reply!
Sadly I don't have a garden, but I do have some larger planters on my balcony. It's northeast facing, so it gets a lot of sunlight until the early afternoon and is shady after that. Do you think that would be alright?
What kind of feed would you recommend? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Elly, it would be worth trying there, and will certainly have a better chance. I would use a soil based compost, with plenty of crocks in the bottom for drainage. Make sure the roots are nice and moist, and I always use slow release compost, although a handful of fish blood&bone wouldn`t go amiss on planting. Hopefully other members will add their ideas too. :)

Ask a Question