Please help! What are these tiny black dots on my dwarf Meyer lemon leaves?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi, I'm in zone 7, Atlanta, GA. Growing dwarf Meyer Lemons and also Limes in a greenhouse. I just found these tiny, tiny black 'dots' on many of the leaves. They're like little spheres, not flat dots. Usually on the underside, and usually one per leaf, although there are some exceptions to both. I know I have scale as well and am treating for that....but what on earth are these dots? Thanks for any assistance!

black dot.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I'm in zone 7, Atlanta, GA. Growing dwarf Meyer Lemons and also Limes in a greenhouse. I just found these tiny, tiny black 'dots' on many of the leaves. They're like little spheres, not flat dots. Usually on the underside, and usually one per leaf, although there are some exceptions to both. I know I have scale as well and am treating for that....but what on earth are these dots? Thanks for any assistance!

View attachment 47936
I can't be 100% sure but they look like lacebug eggs. Whoever they are, it is insect eggs and to rid yourself of them spray with neem. BTW neem is for scale too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Chuck, thanks for your reply. My greenhouse is just 8' x 12' and I spend a great deal of time in there, it's set up for me to put my feet up and read and so on.....so I think I would've seen lacewings and I haven't--not that I couldn't be wrong. I have seen spider mites and scale and am using Neem and insecticidal soap so far on them....Aren't lacewings beneficial? I think they eat aphids? But I do agree that it seems like eggs, I think you are on the right track. I'll start googling that. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck, thanks for your reply. My greenhouse is just 8' x 12' and I spend a great deal of time in there, it's set up for me to put my feet up and read and so on.....so I think I would've seen lacewings and I haven't--not that I couldn't be wrong. I have seen spider mites and scale and am using Neem and insecticidal soap so far on them....Aren't lacewings beneficial? I think they eat aphids? But I do agree that it seems like eggs, I think you are on the right track. I'll start googling that. Thanks again!
Not lacewings, lacebugs. They are two different insects. Lacewings are beneficial. There are many species of lacebugs and it may not be lacebugs but it is an insect. What type of scale do you have, hard or soft?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ha! I just found out that lacebug and lacewing are different--thanks. The scale is flat and oval and kind of pale brown, I'm not sure on the hard or soft, but I'm guessing the hard are more difficult to get rid of....It's not a huge infection yet, so I want to nip it right away!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ha! I just found out that lacebug and lacewing are different--thanks. The scale is flat and oval and kind of pale brown, I'm not sure on the hard or soft, but I'm guessing the hard are more difficult to get rid of....It's not a huge infection yet, so I want to nip it right away!
A little info on scale. You have hard scale. Soft scale is white and fuzzy and some varieties move around. Hard scale is like a barnacle. It is attached to the plant and cannot move, ever. When you kill it you cannot tell if it is dead or not as it is stuck to the plant and cannot fall off until the plant grows enough to dislodge it. If you have been spraying with neem more than 3 times it is dead and it will remain there for a considerable time but keep spraying neem once a week to kill all of the eggs. Neem oil kills eggs by suffocation so multiple applications are necessary to kill new eggs. When no new eggs show up stop spraying neem. In a greenhouse it is much more important to have a spray regimen than if planted in the ground. You really don't want to have any kind of infestation. Neem is good for eggs and hard scale but a spinosad based insecticide is much, much better for all of the other insects such as whitefy who love to inhabit greenhouses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you so much for this information! I agree, the scale I have is the hard kind. I'm on a Neem spraying schedule but would like to add the spinosad as well. I read that spider mites adapt quickly so changing up the type of insecticide is a good idea. I've been a gardener for years, but this is my first year with a greenhouse. All advice is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you so much for this information! I agree, the scale I have is the hard kind. I'm on a Neem spraying schedule but would like to add the spinosad as well. I read that spider mites adapt quickly so changing up the type of insecticide is a good idea. I've been a gardener for years, but this is my first year with a greenhouse. All advice is greatly appreciated!
The secret to spider mites is to disrupt their reproductive cycles and it is difficult to do so. Basically it is to completely eradicate the first to show up and to treat the soil to kill the eggs. Spinosad works better on the actual insects but neem is better for the eggs in the soil if used as a drench. They have a very complicated reproductive cycle and I think you will find it a great benefit to research this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this! I know that spider mites are a bugger, so I'm going to have to stay on it! I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@atlgirl greenhouses can make life very comfortable for pests. I've managed to escape major infestations these pas 10 or so years.. touching wood here... @Chuck is giving you fantastic advice. I had problems with an indoor area (I'm in zone 5a, so winter gardening is indoors only) and the neem and spinosad treatments saved me from nasty spider mite issues. Those little beggars do have a frustrating cycle but in the long run, they got tromped.

I got my neem and Monterey (spinosad) garden spray through Johnnies seeds. Fantastic people.

I envy your big greenhouse. Mine are small palrams and I have loved them from day one. I'm not capable of sitting still long unless it's cocktail hour so I don't need sitting room but I can picture the pleasure for folks who can relax during the day.

Thanks for joining here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
@atlgirl I have to agree with @CanadianLori , my dear friend from the past, that greenhouses are comfie perfect place for bugs of all kinds. No matter what kind of cure you use, get on it immediately. Don't wait one day...also

As @CanadianLori says, "Keep the air moving. Fans are your friends." I CAN'T AGREE WITH HER MORE...............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@atlgirl greenhouses can make life very comfortable for pests. I've managed to escape major infestations these pas 10 or so years.. touching wood here... @Chuck is giving you fantastic advice. I had problems with an indoor area (I'm in zone 5a, so winter gardening is indoors only) and the neem and spinosad treatments saved me from nasty spider mite issues. Those little beggars do have a frustrating cycle but in the long run, they got tromped.

I got my neem and Monterey (spinosad) garden spray through Johnnies seeds. Fantastic people.

I envy your big greenhouse. Mine are small palrams and I have loved them from day one. I'm not capable of sitting still long unless it's cocktail hour so I don't need sitting room but I can picture the pleasure for folks who can relax during the day.

Thanks for joining here!

Hi Lori,

I am so thankful for all of this advice--hopefully as I learn, I can pay that forward. I love Johnnies seeds! I've bought lots through them--they have terrific micro greens.

I hope I didn't overstate my greenhouse. I have the Mojave edition of the Monticello, and it's just 8 x 12. I have two heaters, several LED lights and a good, strong greenhouse fan. All on timers, so that works well. With satellite radio and a place to sit and put my feet up, I generally have a cocktail there in the evening with a good book (often about gardening :)

Cheers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@atlgirl I have to agree with @CanadianLori , my dear friend from the past, that greenhouses are comfie perfect place for bugs of all kinds. No matter what kind of cure you use, get on it immediately. Don't wait one day...also

As @CanadianLori says, "Keep the air moving. Fans are your friends." I CAN'T AGREE WITH HER MORE...............

I'm all over it! Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I run my fans on solar. I'll try to get a picture of some of tne set up tomorrow. My biggest greenhouse is 6x8, the other two are 4 x 6. I only heat the 6x8 from November to January 5t and again from March 31st to May after frost is over.

Last edited:

Ask a Question