Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Not being able to see his back and wings I thought it was a Rosella DeborahJane. :)
image.jpeg
Three King Parrots on the left doing a front on, profile and back view especially ;)and a rosella on the right....all quite beautiful and very cooperative!:p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The Parlour Palm in the background qualifies this pic for the forum I hope.;)
There is actually a "cat" cushion curled up in the far left hand of the photo...Sam in the foreground and Pearl as the cushion in the background.:)
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Knowing the size of a Rosella I can see now how much bigger the King parrots are. I know a certain amount about parrots and parakeets as my mum used to breed them. :)

I have a parlour palm too but no cats, my apologies but I have never liked them and there are far to many here in my neighbourhood.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I do understand Sheal if cats aren't your thing. We only had one and it was easy to keep her inside at night time and she used her outside cage a lot but since we have adopted our sons 2 its not so easy and I am very aware of their impact. It is a dilema for me as I do love them and can't imagine not having one. When we got Pearl I said I understood I was irresponsible for having a cat but by having as cat cage built and keeping her in at night made me a responsible irresponsible cat owner. I'm not trying to make light of it. I know it's a serious matter.

Reaction score
Here is the baby monkey though looked cute was quite destructive. It teased me the whole day staring at me while plucking petals and dropping them down and doing other nasty things. It was not easy to chase it away. If not for those nasty habits I would have loved to keep it as a pet.

dsc04322-jpg.7087

I am amazed that you had a baby monkey in your garden! I can understand how frustrating it must be when it's so destructive, but it would be so hard for me to be mad. He is so adorable!

Reaction score
These are awesome pictures of animals in all of your gardens and backyards. I cannot post pictures right now because I am not yet going home to my mother country to where our garden is. Anyway thanks for sharing all of this pictures and video. Very interesting creatures!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
:)Yesterday morning I heard this chirping. My King Parrot was on the back of the chair just outside the door, singing for his "supper". I wouldn't be surprised if he actually comes in one day:LOL:. This is the one I can actually hand feed. I've decided I need a name for him....Your Highness, Red, Cheeky, Peter Parrot, Pete.......I think I like Peter:rolleyes:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
He's beautiful! Hopefully Pearl isn't a danger to those pretty birds.

I don't live in a climate that is parrot-friendly, but it could be. Chicago has a healthy population of wild Monk parrots; tropical birds that have made it work in a Midwestern city that can get brutally cold. For a couple of years my brother lived right next to Chicago's Hyde Park, which is home to a thriving population of those little parrots. I saw them many times there.
http://www.wbez.org/series/curious-city/chicago-home-fit-wild-parrots-108565

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
He's beautiful! Hopefully Pearl isn't a danger to those pretty birds.

I don't live in a climate that is parrot-friendly, but it could be. Chicago has a healthy population of wild Monk parrots; tropical birds that have made it work in a Midwestern city that can get brutally cold. For a couple of years my brother lived right next to Chicago's Hyde Park, which is home to a thriving population of those little parrots. I saw them many times there.
http://www.wbez.org/series/curious-city/chicago-home-fit-wild-parrots-108565
The birds are wary when Pearl is around but they all seem to have worked out to co exist. She does sleep a lot so the birds often have a free run but even when she is around she often just sits back and watches. They certainly keep an eye on her though and make quick getaways if she moves.
I read your article on the monk parrots, lovely soft colour. They sound like they are a bit destructive in their natural habitat like our cockatoos which really do shocking damage to verandahs and windows, so much so that the can glass fall out. When we had our house painted a few years ago they stated on our deck and windows. I tried lots of suggestion I'd been given, toy snakes, plastic owls, thin wire along the balustrade. I certainly had to stop putting out bird seed. Eventually they stopped being a problem. I think they must have found another new freshly painted house to chew on:confused:. I now only put a small amount of seed along the balustrade when the parrots and rosellas visit. It is something I enjoy very much.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh that's good, I know that some areas in Australia have become quite strict about outdoor cats. I feed and care for feral cats, plus I have bird feeders out year around, but in different locations and while the cats do get the very occasional bird, probably fewer than if I wasn't feeding them. They aren't as hungry. ;) And yes, I do TNR - (trap, neuter, return) the ferals.

I need to update with photos of my giant English mastiff puppy. I think I posted some earlier in this thread. He is gaining 3-5 lbs a week and I think is close to 80 lbs now and just turned five months old. He will be bigger than me in a few months! And to keep this wildlife related, last week he proudly carried a dead possum into the bedroom and dropped it at my feet. I don't think he killed it - the terrier probably did - but he was awfully pleased with himself. He was probably baffled by my shrieking, scooping it up in an old tee shirt and hurling it over the back fence into the woods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've been held hostage by little squirrel terrorists. They dig into EVERYTHING...little monsters!!! For the longest time I wasn't sure what was doing it. Then one morning I go out on the front porch and catch one tearing through one of my potted gardenias. Now I am not a member of PETA (I don't have anything against them, just not my thing) but I don't want to hurt any animals if I don't have to. I moved plants around, tried different kinds of deterrents...nothing has stopped them. As you can see by the pictures (i'm not proud...do what I gotta do to protect my babies), the nasty little buggers got their way and no longer bother my plants :cry:

20151008_135708.jpg
20151008_134942.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Pesky little creatures, cute from this far away though.:) I've had a few plants eaten my our bird life. In fact I've decided to give up on the pot I have in the centre of my table on my deck. It's seems to be irresistable, maybe it's the position , I don't know.... they seem to leave my other pots on the deck alone. A friend of mine can't have roses as the possums eat them. Possums aren't a problem here and she's only about 10 minutes drive away.

Ask a Question