Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
PHTO0035.JPG
BZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz I get a few honey Bee's visit each year;) I love watching them. You can always hear when they are coming your way!............I do like to know where they are nesting. This is one of the bigger swarms I have seen in my garden. I love seeing them as they are one of the most important links in the chain. we would not last long without them:) (there must be a few thousand in that swarm?..... anyone want to count them!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's incredible @Daren! Can't imagine seeing something like that in my garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
That swarm eventually ended up making an old hollowed out chestnut tree near me home & there has been bee's in there ever since

Reaction score
Country
United States
My greenhouse has been getting visited by a little chipmunk who loves to nibble on our tomatoes. We caught him with the trail camera a couple of times. As an animal lover, that little guy is adorable. As a gardener, he is my sworn enemy.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Back in canada, one of the cutest visitors, but destructive, I'd have is a ground squirrel. A quick google came up with its name, Richardson's ground squirrel. These cute little suckers would come by and dig huge holes in my mom's garden.

1280px-Richardson%27s-Szmurlo.jpg

I took this link from wikipedia, since those things are so darn fast I'd never get a decent picture of one!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That looks like the roundtail ground squirrel (I actually have a postcard picture of it hanging before me on my bulletin board) I used to see all the time when I was living in the AZ desert. Such cute little critters! I loved seeing them. I wasn't trying to grow anything back then, though.

Aki

Reaction score
Country
Japan
I have a problem with a cat comes and pee and poo on my little garden where my tulips are coming up from the ground. So worried about him or her can harm the sprouts. What should I do? Coffee grounds? Scaredy cat plants? Commercial repellents? Orange peels? Anyone has experience please help. Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
Netherlands
there's nothing that works against cats besides fencing and shooting them.

contact the local authorities and have them removed as ferals or trap them yourself and dump them at a kill shelter so they can be disposed of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite as harsh as Icecold's reply but just as diverse. :) I've heard that sprinkling human male urine around the edges of the garden helps to keep them out. Other than that a terrier dog works well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
Netherlands
Not quite as harsh as Icecold's reply but just as diverse. :) I've heard that sprinkling human male urine around the edges of the garden helps to keep them out. Other than that a terrier dog works well.
it'll also make your garden unbearable to sit in, or cost you a lot of money.

there's no need to treat cats any different from rats or rabbits, they're pest animals that should be disposed of, you'll do the ecosystem a favour.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Aki, feral cats are, it seems, a universal problem. We have found that thorny plant trimmings (thank heavens for thorny roses and blackberry bushes!) placed around the area you want to protect will deter the cats from visiting.

Ask a Question