Garden Animals Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Grouie's thread about the snakes she saw made me think about AL of the animal discoveries we find in our gardens and I thought it might be nice to have a specific section to post about our discoveries. Just thought I would throw it out there as a possible idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Good idea! I love seeing what lives or passes through other gardens. Since we have members from all around the world, we could see and learn about a lot of different "critters."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Good idea! I love seeing what lives or passes through other gardens. Since we have members from all around the world, we could see and learn about a lot of different "critters."
I agree. I've enjoyed some of the posts I've seen here with native wild life and I'd love to share our visiting wallaby (small kangaroo) if I can manage catch him on film.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree too, I think its a great idea for a sticky. I love any garden that attracts wildlife and birds and insects (well...most insects anyway!) and all manner of critters. To me that's an integral element of having a garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have any number including snakes (lol). My garden is designed to attract birds with a birdbath, fruit trees, lush greenery.... I have countless video clips on birds in action.
We get mongooses,squirrels, peacocks, and even had a civet cat and a baby monkey. You must watch this clip when the civet cat invaded us. The entire menagerie if I might call them that warned us that something was not alright. Even when snakes visit we get such warnings including f our pet Preiti, By all standards therefore we are safe :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Here is the baby monkey though looked cute was quite destructive. It teased me the whole day staring at me while plucking petals and dropping them down and doing other nasty things. It was not easy to chase it away. If not for those nasty habits I would have loved to keep it as a pet.

DSC04322.JPG

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking forward to see the "Animals In the Garden" from everyone! Here is one I saw hanging around my backyard, and I am not sure if it is a gold finch or an Oreole.

IMG_4408.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd say female goldfinch. Orioles are slimmer and have more defined black and white bars on their wings. You must have a decent camera to get such good bird photos!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Ian, thank you! I'll look through my "critters" folder and perhaps post some of the less scary ones.
This forum just gets better and better!

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
This is the picture of Rana our pet with a stray who we cared for. We named her Nimmi. This photo is from our archives. Rana lived for ten and a half years.
Nimmisenior.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This year we seem to attracting some interesting birds to the backyard. I have not done a garden so I don't know what is attracting them, I have seen Blue Jays and Cardinals in the yard more than normal or maybe I am just watching the space more than usual.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have spoken here about a monkey that visits us and it does make me feel uneasy. I do have my own way of chasing it away. I have assistance too. Preiti will comb the whole garden and give out a whimper if it spots it no matter how high the tree will be where the monkey would be squatting. Also there will be a group of crows who will alert us crowing in unison. I managed to record their crows.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=CXxWKyf4eLE

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I just spotted a baby mongoose in our garden. It hides the moment it sees me. But keeps coming out of that drainage pipe which is installed to drain out rain
001.JPG
002.JPG
water from the yard. Its mother must be somewhere around too,.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question