Courtyard Garden design and ideas

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all.

Im building a house at the moment that has a small courtyard 7.5 meters x 4 meters.

I have never had a garden before, only a balcony so i want to make the most of my courtyard.

I have come up with a couple of ideas but im no landscaper so wouldn't mind some input and also ideas on what i could do with the area.

I am thinking of having Bamboo growing against the garage wall as i would like to cover the wall somehow.

I have attached a couple of ideas. Im leaning towards the one with the larger decking area.

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• garden 1.jpg
    garden 1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 296
  • Garden.jpg
    Garden.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Also.

I want a Tropical looking garden.

I have been reading articles on the subject and layering my plants and having things growing at different hights seems to important.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Which way is South on those diagrams?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thats is a good sunny angle. Afternoon sun. Will you be planting anything for shade for those late afternoon social events and grilling out on the deck? And what growing zone are you in?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Bamboo is very slow growing and please make sure you have a shallow barrier or some runner will run. If you want a bamboo barrier, try to go for phyllostachys Nigra (black stems) or aurea Spectabilis which displays lovely stems

upload_2018-12-18_10-31-28.jpeg

Or Fargesia Asia Wonder
z-bamboo-2.jpg

The stems are smooth. All you need to do is keep trimming off the lower branches in order to encourage upward growth and water, water and even more water and they will make a nice light and air filtering screen for you.

Another things you could look out for is standards, Standard ilex, standard draping rose, standard fushsia, interspersed with square, dome or spiral box plants..

Have some permanent perennials such as Irises, alstroemerias, cistus, Stipa gigantea, standard bottlebrush plant, standard olive tree,

ground hugging plants such as aubretia, some draping rosemary.

G.W

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Philmb,
Aaah the fun of a new palet! Where on the planet do you live, can you support tropical plants? If so...........Do you want shrubs for privacy or just annuals or perennial goodies. So many questions I know. But palms are great tropicals.......that give nice texture. Banana plants are very tropical....Do you want a garden that you want to like to spend time working in or more self maintaining? GW....Let me know.....I would love to give some suggestions...

Attachments

• IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 210

Ask a Question