Super small area "Secret Garden Thingy"

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all.

Im currently building a new house.
There is an area of the house that, because of the shape of the block leaves a small 2.5 meter x 1.5 ,meter area outside of the side of the house.

The area is surrounded by walls and windows.

one of the smaller walls is the wall and window of the master bedroom.
The opposite wall is of another bedroom and window.
One of the longer walls has a sliding door which goes into the on suite bathroom.
The opposite to that is the wall to next doors block.

I want to do something in that area but not sure what, im thinking of a "secret Garden" which would be nice i think, especially while using the on suit and having the sliding door open. No one can see inside as the area is surrounded by walls.

Couple of questions:

Any ideas of what i could do out there?

What kind of plants would suit?
There is only going to be a few hours of sunlight when the sun is high in the sky and its also going to get very hot out there as there wont be any wind flow because of the walls. I live in Perth Western Australia so on days when it can be 40c its going to be bloody hot in that small concrete area.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nice? a controlled space made of glass where you can keep specimen plants. No ideas without pictures really, something different might be a nice touch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome philmb :) With the high temperatures during summer and the confined area it will be a challenge for any plant. At this point I'm thinking either tropical or desert plants. On the shaded walls you may get away with pots and baskets, preferably larger ones and best not to use plastic. They will have to be watered and fed regularly. Below is a link for ideas.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...ges&qpvt=plant+pots+on+walls+images&FORM=IGRE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome philmb :) With the high temperatures during summer and the confined area it will be a challenge for any plant. At this point I'm thinking either tropical or desert plants. On the shaded walls you may get away with pots and baskets, preferably larger ones and best not to use plastic. They will have to be watered and fed regularly. Below is a link for ideas.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...ges&qpvt=plant+pots+on+walls+images&FORM=IGRE
Perhaps a hydroponic garden of some sort to minimize the effort then? A lot of nice tropicals exist in high humidity. The environment would be the hidden secret and the rare part though the plants could be special too.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When you walk around the neighbourhood, please write down what grows well in the gardens nearby and note the heights, the aspects. It does help focus the mind.

Ask a Question