Weird Superstition from Grammy

ManoaRain

It's too dang hot
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So my grandmother's got a habit of sucking on seeds while shes planting them. She says that it makes them sprout better, but google's coming up blank on anything similar to that. Given modern seed treatment practices for non organic as well, this doesn't seem like a good idea now health wise. But, given a bygone era of heirloom neighborhood seeds without chemicals, has anyone heard of this actually being a thing or is grandma BSing again?

Reaction score
Rubbish, never heard of anyone doing that.

Some seeds are supposed to benefit from an overnight soaking as well,but even that has been shown as not necessary.

I don't think I shall be sucking on any seeds any time soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I wouldn't dream of doing that but we have found that some seeds benefit from an overnight soaking.

We have just done a controlled test of runner bean seeds to check this out. Germination was 1 - 2 days quicker with soaking. The variation between one to two days was mainly the difference between sowing some of them when the others were put into soak.

This may not seem like a big difference in the grand scheme of things but the difference between 3 days and five days can be significant when you're in a hurry.

There is a marginal difference in height and leaf growth after 10 days. Although I shall keep a record of cropping I can't see there being any significant difference and, because they will be planted out into the garden, it won't be in a controlled environment.

Total number of beans tested was 608 with 100% germination. Bottom heat of 70F used for germination.

ManoaRain

It's too dang hot
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thats really interesting, thanks! I'd heard that works well, it's cool to see that it's a marked difference that can be tested. Definetly doing more of that in the future!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
It doesn't mean to say that it works for all seeds. Although I have no reasoning to back it up I feel that larger seeds would benefit more from it - but can't see that those are the type that your grandmother would be sucking.

We do start chillies, sweet peppers and tomatoes off on damp kitchen paper, in a seed sprouter, and wait until they have grown to the two leaf stage before putting into compost. We seem to have a much better germination that way. Though I wouldn't recommend sucking chilli seeds first. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
b16869fd74fc60c0014921aa688e73a9.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Seeds from own garden, might work. But if bought from nursery or online, forget about sucking just lick will be toxic enough to land you on hospital bed. They mix insecticide to prolong seed shelf life.

I have heard people sucking to cutting in order to root them faster. It might work actually.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It's quite charming i think. In the time when we did not have so much scientific evidence for this and that, i expect gardeners created their own and i love to hear about them. When i first started digging in my tropical garden, i kept find 10 centavo pieces, in addition to obsidian bits of old tools and most likely weapons. I was mystified by these small pieces of money and how they came to be in the soil.
One day i asked a neighbor who had come to visit about the 10 centavo pieces in the soil. I was told that in earlier times and even now, people put the small pieces of money at the bottom of holes made for planting for good luck and a healthy plant. To ensure that my seedlings will grow strong and happy i give them little love pats, although, that really does work:). There are so many tropical plants that are seriously toxic, so i don't think i would adopt your grammy's practice of sucking seeds and i hope she does not grow Gloriosa Lilies from seeds because they can kill her:(.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I heard about it. But it was more connected with esotericism than with gardening. Something to create a connection with the plant.

I'm not sure that I would use it for the rapid growth of seeds.
Once I participated in the experiment. We tried different means from the store for seeds. It was necessary to soak the seeds before planting and see how the seeds will sprout faster. It was the same seed of a pomegranate. Personally, I did not buy special agent. I used the "old grandmother's way" - aloe juice. By the way, my seeds have grown first. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
So my grandmother's got a habit of sucking on seeds while shes planting them. She says that it makes them sprout better, but google's coming up blank on anything similar to that. Given modern seed treatment practices for non organic as well, this doesn't seem like a good idea now health wise. But, given a bygone era of heirloom neighborhood seeds without chemicals, has anyone heard of this actually being a thing or is grandma BSing again?
So your first sentence. She' got into the habit of sucking on seeds. --- Tell me now, how old is she, is she sick a lot? Never heard of it myself. but for some seeds I do soak them in water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)@Larisa your grandmother soaked her seeds in Aloe Vera juice or just dipped the seeds in Aloe Vera and planted? I have not heard of this method, but i am very interested because of the results that you experienced. Is this something you do when you generally plant seeds? I wonder if the nutrient rich gel of the Aloe both protects and nourishes the seed? Flax seeds when soaked also produce a nutrient rich gel. Maybe i'll try it on the tiny cranky Lagerstroemia indica seeds i have
in a baggie now.(y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Beverly :)
The aloe plant is a natural antibiotic and a natural biostimulator.
The action of aloe juice is due to the presence of biogenic stimulants in it.
These biostimulants are formed in aloe only under adverse conditions, in isolated (cut off) tissues. Therefore, it is necessary to cut off the lower leaves of aloe (from plants older than two years), put the leaves of aloe in the refrigerator for two weeks.
In two weeks, make juice. Seeds can be soaked for 12 hours.
In fresh juice, there are no such substances.

I do not dilute the juice with water. Some gardeners add a little honey.

Nevertheless, I advise you not to soak all the seeds, but to separate them. To understand how this will work for specific seeds.

Here is an aloe. It is grown in many houses. Also used in home medicine for colds and cuts.:)
IMG_4193.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you @Larisa, i have been familiar with Aloe Vera but not all the qualities that you describe so i appreciate this information. People here grow Aloe outside in gardens and when i first started a garden in this climate, i did grow an Aloe Vera plant. As a succulent it provides lots of healthy liquids to both people and red ants. I had noticed many red ants on the plant i was growing and i thought there might be a nest forming so i armed myself with gloves and put my hands at the base of the plant to pull it up:LOL: I was so green, wow what a mistake!. Immediately i experienced a flood of red ants running up my gloves and inside them and stinging and biting like crazy. It was a nightmare, a painful one.:oops::eek: I should have used shovel or better put a heavy bag over the plant and tied it at the base. I was such an innocent. I don't grow Aloe Vera anymore, but i can buy the juice at the market, which i will try on a portion of my stubborn Lagerstroemia seeds. I will let you know my results.:) Great information and much appreciated(y)

Ask a Question