Super huge figs......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
About 3 days ago, we got permission to pick figs at a house my wife has listed for sale as often as they need to be picked since the owners have already moved away.They are REALLY large and sweet figs. Excited that, today, they gave us permission to take cuttings to root. We asked if they knew what kind of fig they were....but they didn't. We've NEVER picked figs THIS large, before.
20180610_120330-1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
About 3 days ago, we got permission to pick figs at a house my wife has listed for sale as often as they need to be picked since the owners have already moved away.They are REALLY large and sweet figs. Excited that, today, they gave us permission to take cuttings to root. We asked if they knew what kind of fig they were....but they didn't. We've NEVER picked figs THIS large, before.View attachment 38476
That's probably what is known as a Magnolia fig. They do get really big but they are also an open eye fig where the bottom of the fig "opens up", thereby letting in all kinds of insects as the fruit nears full ripening. Varieties such as Brown Turkey and Celeste are closed eye varieties. There is nothing wrong with opened eye varieties but you do have to be vigilant and pick them at the correct time.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My cherry tree produced cherries all marked with a cross at the bottom, rendering them inedible. I felled it altogether, but felt sad that I would have no cherries at all. Saw a offshoot from the root, cut it and potted it up. This year, I bought another cherry tree and wonder if the same problem would occur. On several grafted fruit trees, I saw an advice that I need to protect the stem in October or some moths will attack the tree and later fruits.

Fig cuttings are extremely easy to root. Have fun, David!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
About 3 days ago, we got permission to pick figs at a house my wife has listed for sale as often as they need to be picked since the owners have already moved away.They are REALLY large and sweet figs. Excited that, today, they gave us permission to take cuttings to root. We asked if they knew what kind of fig they were....but they didn't. We've NEVER picked figs THIS large, before.View attachment 38476
I can drive down for a cutting? Or is this fig easier locally?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's probably what is known as a Magnolia fig. They do get really big but they are also an open eye fig where the bottom of the fig "opens up", thereby letting in all kinds of insects as the fruit nears full ripening. Varieties such as Brown Turkey and Celeste are closed eye varieties. There is nothing wrong with opened eye varieties but you do have to be vigilant and pick them at the correct time.
Thanks for the possible I.D., Chuck. Here is a picture of the bottom of a ripe one that appears to be what you describe as "open eye". Hope this verifies your suspicion.
20180610_141028.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can drive down for a cutting? Or is this fig easier locally?
I would assume it would be available locally at a good nursery....if it's not, I have 7 cuttings rooting (done 20 minutes ago) and you are more than welcome to have some of them when they root. I do believe Chuck I.D.'d the type fig it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What do the figs taste like?
It is nice to grow a big fig, but if it taste like card board then not as much use.

Ask a Question