New Ideas For My Garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
au
I'm in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia visiting my son and his wife. Stayed at his inlaws in Port Dickson who have a large impressive tropical garden. Stunning and exciting. Of course the weather back home won't allow me to reproduce what I've seen but I love this affect of almost parasitic growth.
I have a tall fern that has ivy growing on it so I'd like to add a small fern or two.
rps20181230_110450.jpg

Attachments

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
gb
Unless you have a very humid microclime! I had ferns growing as well. And people are buying £30 for a 2 to 3 foot tall fern. I wouldn't bother here as my house is very warm and even the ferns which germinated on their own died. You probably could create a microclime by having a bog, but the moisture in the air is very difficult to replicate. Ferns are lovely. Have a go! If it fails, you have tried!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
au
I have a section of my garden dedicated to ferns but now the tree which gave it shade has lost so many branches the "fernery" is very exposed. I'll have to rethink...:(

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
gb
Perhaps some evergreen instead of deciduous trees. I think it's possible as we do have a fernery area in Hyde Hall in Essex. Could be hard work, but they are so beautiful.

Ask a Question