Low income garden ideas.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently inherited a small garden I'm trying to think of a nice design to work to but I'm not sure how to do it. I like trees and the cottage garden look but I don't know where to start. Firstly I'm dealing with the overgrowth of weeds and then I want to get my teeth stuck into a really nice design. My garden is square shaped and I could easily fit a shed and a greenhouse in it, as well as a small summerhouse. Has anyone any ideas of some good plants and shrubs to plant that will give my new garden that cottage look without the many years waiting for it all to grow?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well you can certainly go to a plant nursery and see if they have any growing that you can put in there. I have always wondered if we have an abnormally high amount of them, because we have about five that are pretty close, so maybe I am just lucky there. That said, I am petty sure they are common for towns to have so see if you have one and do look around is what I would say. Best of luck, and thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you are looking for low cost things to put in your garden check your community news papers or the local nursery. Sometimes they give plants away for free. My dad sometimes gets free plants from construction sites because they are going to demo the ground and everything on it anyway.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Well, when it comes to small gardens or low budget ones I personally think that having a full lawn garden, of course, a well treated one will always be the most beautiful garden ever, you do not really ned to plant too many plants, you just need some lawn and a couple of little flowers to enhance it, that's all, it really goes for low prices so you definitely should try, good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You said low income so I'm thinking a garden center for starter plants are out?

Friends, Craigslist, plant exchange groups, all great places to get cheap or free plants. And if it is legal, simply digging up wild native plants in your region. (Only if it's legal though. For instance, milkweed grows wild here all over the place. Or you can pay $10-15 for starter plants.)

Also as stated above, check end of season plant sales or freebies...fall is the perfect time to plant perennials!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
If you are looking for low cost things to put in your garden check your community news papers or the local nursery. Sometimes they give plants away for free. My dad sometimes gets free plants from construction sites because they are going to demo the ground and everything on it anyway.

That's what I was about to suggest too -- I've had some decent luck with local nurseries giving away plants for free or very cheap if they were looking worse for wear - if you give them some TLC they're generally good as new!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, there is a gardening center here that gives away free plants every year, but it is generally at the beginning of the growing season not the end. However, some gardening centers may be trying to get rid of plants so this might be the time to try to get some freebies. I wish you luck, you could also find some wild plants that might grow in your garden.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get low cost plants from the gardening center that may look a little sickly. I am good at bringing the plants back to life.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, you can find some cheap/free plants on craigslist. Sometimes there's people that will be doing some pruning or dividing of their giant shrubs and they'll give away cutting or pieces of the mother plant.

For example, people will divide hostas and rather than throwing them away they'll put them up for free on CL.

Another option is to do a cover crop until you figure out what you want or how to get what you want in there. The cover crop will add nutrients and organic matter to the soil while you wait.

Ask a Question