Natural Hedges to block neighbors & privacy wall garden ideas

Reaction score
Below are a list of plants and flowers that grow tall enough to create a hedge to block neighbors and ways to create a natural privacy wall.

Forsythia Spectabilis

Lilac hedge

imgarcade.com

Oleander hedge

flickr.com

Rose of Sharon hedge

flickr.com

Canna flowers as hedges or secret garden

nlbeautification.org

Hollyhocks

pinterest.com

Sunflowers

allposters.co.uk

Hydrangeas

pinterest.com

Spirea Arguta

picclick.co.uk

Buddleia Butterfly bush

mountainvalleygrowers.com

flowering quince shrub

thesitegardener.com

Azalea shrub hedge

imgarcade.com
Ornamental grasses

stepbystep.com

Leylandii trees for hedging

99roots.com
Photinia Red Robin

pinstake.com

Of course Evergreen trees, pines, and cedars are beautiful throughout the entire year and can create privacy within your yard. Also, these trees block the cold winds in the winter. Likewise, Bamboo plants can quickly grow creating a privacy wall. Other plants include: Weigela, Foxglove, Ornamental Millet (purple millet is very beautiful); Laurels such as Prunus Laurocerasus or Prunus Lusitanica for hedging; Ligustrum Trees and Shrubs; Viburnums; Holly varieties such as Ilex Aquifolium or Ilex Cornuta for hedging; and MagnoliaTrees.

-Cassie K
Original post @
Natural Hedges to block neighbors & privacy wall garden ideas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well the obvious big problem with every single one of those ideas...is they will only be (somewhat) effective for 4-6 months out of the year in climates like mine.

The rest of the year, it's bare twigs and a panoramic view of your neighbors yard unless you're going for very well-tended evergreens (and not a single one of those examples featured evergreens.)

I recommend bamboo fence panels if you actually want year around privacy. The suggestions above are fine if you only want privacy for a few months a year. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Of course Evergreen trees, pines, and cedars are beautiful throughout the entire year and can create privacy within your yard. Also, these trees block the cold winds in the winter

@Beth_B, Cassie K does mention pines and cedars in her narrative. Also many of the pictured photos are plants that are evergreens (depending on your climate), oleander is one example. Also she includes a photo of Lelandii which is a Cypress. Bamboo fence panels are fairly low maintenance and pretty too so they would be an attractive alternative, although the subject of the thread has to do with natural hedges (i.e. plants, trees, things that grow). ;)

Reaction score
Well the obvious big problem with every single one of those ideas...is they will only be (somewhat) effective for 4-6 months out of the year in climates like mine.

The rest of the year, it's bare twigs and a panoramic view of your neighbors yard unless you're going for very well-tended evergreens (and not a single one of those examples featured evergreens.)

I recommend bamboo fence panels if you actually want year around privacy. The suggestions above are fine if you only want privacy for a few months a year. :)
Yes Bamboo works well and is lovely.

Ask a Question