Natural pest deterrents?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am looking for some ideas to keep pests, particularly earwigs, out of my flowers. I am trying to keep everything as close to natural/organic as possible. If you know of something that works or could point me in the direction of a similar thread that would be great. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Hi.

This is the one I frequently hear, but honestly have never tried. Maybe tuck them (the rolled newspaper) out of the way kind of hidden?

Place rolled up dampened newspapers (or paper towel roll) around the garden to attract earwigs and then shake out into soapy water after capture. Easiest trick: Take a newspaper and roll it up securing it with an elastic band - this is a very attractive shelter for earwigs especially. Dunk it in water to get in nice and wet. Lay the wet, rolled up newspaper in the garden between problem plants. Check the trap daily. Bring a bucket of soapy or salty water to the garden. Pick up the newspaper and quickly dunk it in to the bucket to remove the earwigs and slugs that have crawled in to the shelter. Replace the trap to catch some more.

Here's more info.
https://cedarcirclefarm.org/tips/entry/earwigs-and-slugs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't know what kind of insect is that earwig. But maybe this novelty of the local farmers can work for your flowers. Cut a hole near the neck of a plastic water bottle. Then put vinegar inside the bottle and hang it beside the plant. If it is a tree then you can hang it by the branch. The insects will be attracted by the odor of the vinegar so they will enter and be suffocated inside the bottle.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Someone told me that they use beer traps. This is exactly what it sounds like. Dig a hole in the soil for a small saucer so that the edge of the saucer is level with the surface of the soil. Pour in about 1/2 inch of beer. She said she changed this nightly since she counts what she catches. She says that fresh beer works better. That works for us too I guess!

I never knew that earwigs are a problem in the gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been told that many bugs do not like marigold, so I planted marigold in my garden! Whether there are more bugs or less, I didn't notice before. I wonder if marigold will work with earwigs too.

@aquaticneko ! That is really interesting and I might try it in the summer :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been told that many bugs do not like marigold, so I planted marigold in my garden! Whether there are more bugs or less, I didn't notice before. I wonder if marigold will work with earwigs too.

@aquaticneko ! That is really interesting and I might try it in the summer :)
Actually it is the Marigolds that have been eaten bare! I did some research and found out that slugs and earwigs both like them. I have not seen any sign of slugs, so I guessed earwigs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi.

This is the one I frequently hear, but honestly have never tried. Maybe tuck them (the rolled newspaper) out of the way kind of hidden?

Place rolled up dampened newspapers (or paper towel roll) around the garden to attract earwigs and then shake out into soapy water after capture. Easiest trick: Take a newspaper and roll it up securing it with an elastic band - this is a very attractive shelter for earwigs especially. Dunk it in water to get in nice and wet. Lay the wet, rolled up newspaper in the garden between problem plants. Check the trap daily. Bring a bucket of soapy or salty water to the garden. Pick up the newspaper and quickly dunk it in to the bucket to remove the earwigs and slugs that have crawled in to the shelter. Replace the trap to catch some more.

Here's more info.
https://cedarcirclefarm.org/tips/entry/earwigs-and-slugs
Thank you! I might give this a try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't know what kind of insect is that earwig. But maybe this novelty of the local farmers can work for your flowers. Cut a hole near the neck of a plastic water bottle. Then put vinegar inside the bottle and hang it beside the plant. If it is a tree then you can hang it by the branch. The insects will be attracted by the odor of the vinegar so they will enter and

I don't know if they like vinegar but if nothing else works it is worth a try. Thanks!

Attachments

• Earwig_on_white_background.jpg
    Earwig_on_white_background.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Actually it is the Marigolds that have been eaten bare! I did some research and found out that slugs and earwigs both like them. I have not seen any sign of slugs, so I guessed earwigs.

Whoa, I didn't know that earwigs and slugs like Marigolds! I know bees and flies don't mind them. Some butterflies too, seem to take a liking to marigolds so I guess it is not all that bad :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
An older lady tells me about garlic powder & a few other herbs that can help keep harmful pests away. I would have to research it a bit. She's usually right come to think of it. I always try to use the minimal amount of harmful chemicals in my garden.

Ask a Question