Need ideas for low light corner of back garden

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi there, I am looking for some ideas for design or plants/shrubs for corner in a small back garden which gets no direct sun throughout the year. It is a very shady area where grass wont even grow (despite numerous attempts at sowing grass etc). So at the moment it does not look great, patches of grass and soil.
It really needs a revamp with either a bed of plants or shrubs that don't require much light or good soil, paved slabs just to sit potted plants on, wall creepers, bamboo, build a BBQ... i really can't figure out what the best solution is. Any advice on plants, design or other ideas would be much appreciated.
I'm attaching a photo of the corner or it can also be viewed here: http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u434/fi_red/corner_zpsyl17de9z.jpg

Attachments

• corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 349
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hostas grow very well in the shade. There are many types and colors and sizes. Do a search and look at the pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's a blank canvas for sure! Hard to go wrong with hosta, there's a huge variety to choose from and I think they will do fine in poor soil. (You can certainly amend your soil quite easily mind you.)

If you improve the soil or use large enough pots, there's tons of options; not sure all are available in Ireland but coral bells, ferns, weigelia, rhododendron, hydrangea, vinca, bishops weed...a google search or a walk through a good local garden center should give you plenty of ideas.

Ask a Question