Flooding... Need ideas..

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
New here! Seeking out others with knowledge to assist with this issue. I have had 3 landscapers come over and look at the issue and they all gave me a different fix for it and said the other guys fixes wouldn't work. So now I am trying to figure this all out on my own. My backyard is long and somewhat narrow in an L shape. My sump pump discharges quite a bit of water every 10 or 15 minutes throughout the entire year and this is pushed into drain tile that runs the majority of my yard and discharges in back of my garage where it then floods to a low spot smack dab in the middle of the yard. The dog has a field day in the mud which is NOT fun. I would like to relocate the "pop up" for the drain tile perhaps to a corner of my yard and I would LOVE to use some of the water to keep the garden watered but I am unsure of how to do so. Unsure of how to do this without flooding the garden, etc. Any ideas? Perhaps put the pop up in a high corner (against the back right) and surround it by some sort of marsh style plants and then have the veggie garden in front of that? Not sure if this is feasible but I can't do much with where the pop up is located now because it is literally in the middle of the yard back there.

Help! :) And thank you for ANY and all suggestions and ideas that you may all have!!! This is a house built in 57, we just bought it and the village is NOT being helpful at all either. We are surrounded by neighboring yards and there is nowhere for the water to go, so I need to find a solution with the water that stays on the property which is all of it. No way to run it around or through yards.

The attached photo is of the yard, the red dot is the pop up and the white area is where it is flooded year round.

Attachments

• BackyardFlood.jpg
    BackyardFlood.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 312
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/8a
Country
United Kingdom
We had a similar problem, a pipe with no soakaway that flooded when it rained. We fixed it by adding a water butt, that connected to a drip irrigation system for the garden from the tap, with an overflow that ran to the main drain. The overflow as just a bit of hosepipe, but you might want something more lasting.

In your case the water is coming out at ground level, I'm guessing, so you might have to sink a watertank by it, and possibly add a solar powered pump to move water through the irrigation system. Perhaps you could make a feature of it, by building it up a bit and letting the water trickling down through raised beds.

Just don't plant a tree over it. Our previous owners did that and we're still dealing with the consequences of roots in the drainage system!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
a little rock creek would let the water soak in, and still have a hard bottom,
you would have a little wet land for plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Water generally has to have some place to flow. For example my yard was wet all the time, when I moved in about ten years ago.

Solution was to dig by hand about three hundred feet of trench. Ten inches wide, 20 inches deep. The job took me about six weeks during a dry Summer. A layer of gravel in the bottom, a five inch plastic weeping tile one piece, a layer of gravel, then sod back on top. The pipe drained to the front of the house to the storm drain which cleared excess water. My yard is now always dry with no spongy feeling. The soil is hard clay of good quality about two point five feet then hard pan. There is no ground water level. All my water comes from above.

This is the technique used. Not my yard but I assisted.
http://durgan.org/2009/From Previous Years/18 April 2006 Drainage Trenching/HTML/
18%20april%202006%20mark%20trenching%20img_00505_std.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless you can run a pipe to the street and into the storm sewer or into your downspout lines you are pretty much out of luck. The ground can't absorb any more water and that is why it's flooding. The only other way would be to discharge the sump into the sanitary sewer line. The city doesn't like people doing that because they just have to deal with more water at the water treatment facility.

Ask a Question