Animals Under the Fence

Reaction score
I have some space from the bottom of my fence to the ground. What is the most effective thing to use, that don't look too bad, to cover up the space ?? I was thinking chicken wire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could use large stones. How big of a gap? If a possum or armadillo or possum wants under your fence, chicken wire will do nothing to deter them. Large rocks or paversion seem to deter them digging under.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What kinds of animals are you trying to keep out? Many can climb a fence just as easily as digging under.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
.. Where abouts in the world are you? Chicken wire can catch & damage rodents small legs & feet. I'd find another alternative like suggested above or even a row of pots/planters.

Reaction score
I only have trouble with domesticated animals who come in and dig up and use the bathroom. The highest spot is only about a foot, so I don't think any animal will be trying to climb on it. And the fence is vinyl, so I don't think cats will be able to climb it. Squirrels might be able to. I saw some wire that's about 1" x 2" opening. That might be safer than chicken wire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A cat can very easily scale a six foot vinyl fence (I'm assuming your comment about it being a foot high was a typo)) without breathing hard. So can possums, raccoons, squirrels, coyotes, skunks and most other wild critters. And some dogs. And most people. :)

What, exactly, are the problems you're having? What are you trying to prevent from happening, here? There are probably smarter ways of dealing with it than attempting to close off your yard.

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the neighbors cats using my back yard as their bathroom. And would like to keep loose dogs from being able to go under the fence and get at my 2 small children. The highest gap under the fence is only a foot high (not the fence). I don't think a cat will go to the trouble of scaling a 6' vinyl fence, just to dig up a flower bed to use the bathroom. There's surely other places they could go, other than my back yard (like in my front yard).

Ask a Question