Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been held hostage by little squirrel terrorists. They dig into EVERYTHING...little monsters!!! For the longest time I wasn't sure what was doing it. Then one morning I go out on the front porch and catch one tearing through one of my potted gardenias. Now I am not a member of PETA (I don't have anything against them, just not my thing) but I don't want to hurt any animals if I don't have to. I moved plants around, tried different kinds of deterrents...nothing has stopped them. As you can see by the pictures (i'm not proud...do what I gotta do to protect my babies), the nasty little buggers got their way and no longer bother my plants :cry:

View attachment 9581 View attachment 9582

Skwirls :) are little pests, they really are! This time of year they are extra-busy, foraging and burying food (I bet if you dig, you'll find black walnuts and acorns in your potted plants.) That's why they call it squirreling away...for winter. And I have both dogs and cats here but the dang squirrels aren't intimidated by them. They can also be really determined and inventive about getting to my bird feeders too. I have a lot of trees on my property and woods not far away so they are just a fact of life where I live, I guess. I have both dogs and cats, so maybe they stay somewhat clear, because I've not had them (or possums) bothering my container plants.

The dogs get the occasional possum though. And skunk. :eek: And even feral cats. :( I hate that my dogs do this, but they are doing what dogs do; no different than the cats catching mice.
What scares me is that we occasionally have deer here...my yard is very well-fenced but I would be really unhappy if a deer got into my yard and the dogs got it. Probably unlikely because they are house dogs basically and are only out when I am home.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
This poor cockatoo has been visiting for a while. His beak has grown back into his chest and his lower beak is growing out one side. He eats with his head on an angle and uses his tongue. I have contacted the wild life rescue people who sent out 2 young volunteers to catch him. Of course he didn't Visit that day. We'll keep trying. They will take him to have his beak clipped Which will be great.
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
It's a shame to see that, have you tried to catch him yourself DeborahJane?
Have been left with a cage this afternoon so hope to do so. The volunteers will collect him and take him for his "corrective surgery". I am a bit worried about it as if I miss him with the sheet it will certainly frighten him off. He does let me walk past but I cant look directly at him or he flies off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't forget to wear some tough gloves if you catch him, even with a dodgy beak he may still lock onto a finger, ouch! I don't suppose you know anyone that has a large fishing net with a long handle? That would be ideal as you would be able to keep your distance. :)

Reaction score
:)Yesterday morning I heard this chirping. My King Parrot was on the back of the chair just outside the door, singing for his "supper". I wouldn't be surprised if he actually comes in one day:LOL:. This is the one I can actually hand feed. I've decided I need a name for him....Your Highness, Red, Cheeky, Peter Parrot, Pete.......I think I like Peter:rolleyes:
View attachment 9486View attachment 9487

Your parrot is gorgeous! Does he not leave when you let him outside? I wish my parrot would have been okay to be outside, but he would have flown away easily. Even with clipped wings, he would have tried to hop his way to freedom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Have been left with a cage this afternoon so hope to do so. The volunteers will collect him and take him for his "corrective surgery". I am a bit worried about it as if I miss him with the sheet it will certainly frighten him off. He does let me walk past but I cant look directly at him or he flies off.

I really hope you manage to catch him so that his beak can be fixed, poor little guy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always find deer in my garden upstate. They eat the berries off my blueberry trees. They also stomp all over my flower bushes and vegitable plants. I will have to build a fence around them next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Your parrot is gorgeous! Does he not leave when you let him outside? I wish my parrot would have been okay to be outside, but he would have flown away easily. Even with clipped wings, he would have tried to hop his way to freedom.
I just feed visiting parrots, he is just a very tame wild parrot. This one will actually feed out of my hand. Very cute, flicks off the seed he doesn't like!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I always find deer in my garden upstate. They eat the berries off my blueberry trees. They also stomp all over my flower bushes and vegitable plants. I will have to build a fence around them next year.
That would have to be a pretty strong fence I'd imagine Kimmy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have many birds that have arrived for the winter. I believe they are grackles. It is so neat to hear them in the trees and feel the vibration of their wings, as they all fly over your head. This picture doesn't even display half of the birds in the yard.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 258
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
We have many birds that have arrived for the winter. I believe they are grackles. It is so neat to hear them in the trees and feel the vibration of their wings, as they all fly over your head. This picture doesn't even display half of the birds in the yard.

WOW! That sure is a lot of birds! I actually have a somewhat irrational fear of birds flying over my head - I always worry they'll end up doing their business and it will end up on my head. Has happened more than once - I know they say it's good luck, but yikes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It could be a picture from the movie The Birds :D

Ask a Question