Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I am lucky enough to have such wonderful wild bird life visiting me each day. I don't actually feed the cockatoos specifically as they can be a bit of a nuisance, knocking things off ledges trying to help themselves to seed and chasing the other birds away. I wait for the rosellas and king parrots who ask ever so nicely before I put the seed out. The cockies screech and sqwark and strut as they are doing as we speak. Very noisy.They're cheeky and impressive and smart. Apparently can live up to100 years old. You have to respect that, the times they have seen a-changing.
14592876643192013472649.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It looks like you live in a lovely area @DeborahJane and i can see why it is called "Emerald Victoria", but what about the Kookaburras? I learned a little song when i was a tot "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, eating all the gum drops he can see. Fly Kookaburra fly Kookaburra, leave some there for me". So i'd just really like to know where the Kookaburras are and for that matter where is the gum tree:), other than that it is a beautiful photo.(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
It looks like you live in a lovely area @DeborahJane and i can see why it is called "Emerald Victoria", but what about the Kookaburras? I learned a little song when i was a tot "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, eating all the gum drops he can see. Fly Kookaburra fly Kookaburra, leave some there for me". So i'd just really like to know where the Kookaburras are and for that matter where is the gum tree:), other than that it is a beautiful photo.(y)
Hi Beverly. Thank you. :)We are surrounded by gum trees. When I say surrounded maybe 2 sides;). The first photo is of one absolutely magnificent very old one. I don't know its age but I must ask my tree feller, Anton. He's coming in 2 weeks to chop down a dead cherry tree and he'll hazard a guess. We are also surrounded by kookaburras, they wake as up each morning laughing at us very loudly. My husband used to say to our boys they were laughing because someone wet the bed. They used to come onto our deck but now that we have inherited 2 cats plus our 1 they dont come so close. They truly are beautiful. We used to be able to hand feed a couple. It was a real party trick for overseas guests :LOL:.

Attachments

• 1459290429105435038165.jpg
    1459290429105435038165.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 1459290558381377243781.jpg
    1459290558381377243781.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Adorable....so cute:) looks like your windows are a lot cleaner than mine:rolleyes: What do you give them for breakfast?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Adorable....so cute:) looks like your windows are a lot cleaner than mine:rolleyes: What do you give them for breakfast?
I don't actually feed them because they are so destructive. I wait til the parrots and rosellas come along until I put the parrot seed out. I have to tip it out when the cockies come. They chew wood, have been known to chew window frames and the windows actually fall out. When we painted our house a few years ago they started on ours, plus the railing. Now that the house is looking a bit weathered they leave it alone. I was away for a couple of days a few months ago and hadn't put the plastic container of seed away. They chewed it open and had seed and their droppings everywhere as well as a lot of other items strewn around. :eek: I like them because they are so cheeky :pbut I don't feed them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, mon. I didn't make it. Bought it from Hobby Lobby.

My rasta man tends to make people smile.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Amazing thread. My comment's a bit dull compared to everyone else's however. The only ones who mingle in my apartment complex garden are my 2 cats, and I don't even have a picture of them there. They love sniffing around the stuff, and lying on the ground when the sun is up. It's like a little paradise for them, they look so adorable when you see them :3

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
9425_Ducks-in-the-Grass_620.jpg
This is what I used to see in my parents' garden all the time before they built a fence around it to protect their delicate vegetables from hungry bills. These are the family ducks who just love nibbling on anything green. They are particularly fond of lettuce and cabbage so they could easily decimate those crops in a flash.

Ask a Question