Animals in your garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was around 10 feet below, that's why she's posing for me. That plus she'd just chowed down at my bird feeder.

possum.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, a 'possum. Or opossum. Very nice little critters. Solitary. Clean. Not a greedy eater.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A Rose-breasted Grosbeak looking at me through the window. Brave little guy! Only stayed about 2 weeks, then moved on to Canada for mating, I guess!

0503161720.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And there he is with his girlfriend! That's the female on the shepherd's hook. And a bonus Downy woodpecker on the bottom of the suet feeder.

0505161825.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That is a migratory bird called a Chirping Sparrow. They overwinter here by the millions
Chuck, you are right, and I stand corrected. The wren doesn't have the black eye stripe.
(My bird book calls it a Chipping sparrow.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It is a very good photo...she is in hiding, most likely sitting on some eggs in that lovely Pine. During my years as a member of the Audubon Society, we used to call these LBBs (little brown birds):) but let me poke around to see if i can be more specific.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Here is the baby monkey though looked cute was quite destructive. It teased me the whole day staring at me while plucking petals and dropping them down and doing other nasty things. It was not easy to chase it away. If not for those nasty habits I would have loved to keep it as a pet.

dsc04322-jpg.7087

Looks like a fellow fellow from the south!! They are experts in mischief and I know it first hand from the 40+ years of watching them in the yard! And that Mexican Hat shrub has grown pretty large I guess. I have it too, but presently no monkeys except me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
In the locality I grew up and lived for 40 yrs, monkey menace was nearly an everyday event. No cameras in those times at home to catch images or videos. I have spent a lot of time watching their antics from inside the kitchen window. And also those were times when other distractions [TV, cell phones, et al] did not affect peaceful life! So we had ample time to watch nature in our own yard. Sometimes the youngsters would jump from branch to branch and on the ones that curved closer to the ground they missed intentionally and landed on the ground. They climbed effortlessly the tall coconut trees, bite open the nuts, drink the best natural glucose water and drop them thud! Sometimes they left the nut on the frond and climbed down. Oh, this caused us a lot of tension as there was also a tiled roof of the neighbour on which the tree had grown at an angle! Every waft of breeze at night would cause tension, what if the nut falls on their roof? Luckily nothing happened and soon the tree-climber came and on priority it was removed!! There are many stories these nasty fellows have made, many worth recalling now, with fun! Here is a monkey - a veteran - I caught near the base of Chamundi Hill which is a backdrop of Mysuru.
P1060859.JPG

Ask a Question