5 Gardening Dairy: Happy gardening and happy snapping ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Bet you're a bit chilly now though:(

Bet that's an understatement. Yes. Welcome back, @Zenj ! So nice to see gorgeous sunshine and brightness in photos and the abundance of fruits - really pump up the level of serotonin in me! No wonder people in the Mediterraneans live longer. Just looking at the clumps of fruit enhances feel-good factor! Guess you've had a lovely holiday, @Zenj !

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning! Woke up 3.42am and turned on the washing machine and now the tumble dryer is on. Tomorrow night is going to be 3c again!

upload_2018-10-31_7-5-9.png

At the moment, my flowers seem to be OK. But 3c is not nice! Wonder how @johnny canoe cope during winter! There are winters and winters!

My rudbeckia bud is still a bud, showing a bit of yellow. Think I'd better retire this little ember lady
SAM_0432.JPG

Heurchera flowers are so dainty
SAM_0430.JPG

SAM_0431.JPG

Very happy that this nerine is trying to flower in this terrible cold. Such a sweet surprise. It was trying earlier, but the stem was snapped off by you know who!

Have to prepare for viewing tomorrow and more on Saturday! Hard to keep tidy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all yes had a great holiday ,but what a difference a week makes really cold here ,surveying the garden the dwarf apple tree one of the branches with the weight of the apples as split and also damaged the main stem it is still attached but split any ideas ,cut it off but how do you heal the main stem ?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps have a look here

Oh, dear! That's a nasty surprise! Have you taking cuttings? If the apples taste good, do try to take cuttings please. Main stem broken is a bit dodgy.

You could even graft something into the split. Hope you haven't chucked all the branches away. I have taken tons of fig cuttings. They were thick as a pencils.

Well, at least, it's sunny for us. Hope you're sunny too, @Zenj !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How badly damaged is the apple tree @Zenj ? I don't think RHS recommended anything now for sealing wounds, I think what used to be used was arbrex for sealing cuts etc. I doubt you could take cutting either , its very likely been grafted onto a dwarf rooting stock to keep it small so cutting could grow to any size and take years to fruit, it be easier just to get another tree they not to expensive now fruit trees.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hope @Upsy Daisy is OK with her doctor's appointment. I got a bare root apple for £3 in mass clearance. So drive around to see if you have any luck. This is especially the case as diy stores have to clear a lot of plants for the Christmas plants..

My dahlias have been roasted and some in the semishade look like they have been boiled!

I wonder if there is anything to stop spider coming in. Their webs trap bumble bees and just now I thought there was a piece of cleaning fabric stuck in the edges; it turned out to be 2 inches or more long of egg sacs. Gee! If they came to fruition, my lean to will be covered with the stuff. I think I must have killed 50+ eggs in those sacs!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Been cleaning the lean to and now my hands are so dry and wrinkled.

Zinnia blighted by frost or cold
SAM_0009.JPG

Dahlias have been "boiled"

SAM_0010.JPG

A very tentative rudbeckia
SAM_0011.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone! :D
Hope everyone is well and that you've all had a good day

Had a busy morning, so didn't go out into the garden until this afternoon. The minus temps have finally done their stuff and finished off the Zinnias, Cosmos, Marigolds, Dahlias, Evening Primroses + other summer bedding that was hanging on for dear life so all have now been pulled up.......gosh it looks so bare now !!! Still have a few Fuchsia plants to dig up to overwinter, that's the first job to do tomorrow as temps are due to dip to -3 tomorrow night!!
Have a lovely evening everyone:D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think I will wait for mine to completely die down as the temperature is going to be 15c. Yes, apparently, tomorrow night is a killer!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone , wrestled the dahlia tubers out of their pots that took a while, tried to get as much compost off as possible and labelled them up , I'll look at them again tomorrow trimming and removing more compost then tipping them upside down for 1-2 week, I might get rid of Natel flowers are small nice colour but its not got that wow factor.

Bulbs arrived at dinner time loads to plant now I haven't planted one bulb yet :eek:

Not so cold here tomorrow / friday morning down to 2'C .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question