5 Gardening Dairy: Happy gardening and happy snapping ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Gee, I'm sitting next to the radiator and I am COLD!

Coldest October days for a decade as Arctic blast brings snow and a three-day cold snap with temperatures plunging to just 19F
  • Cold air sweeping in from Arctic brings frosty conditions to Britain after a snowy and cold weekend
  • Chilly snap brought an end to mild start to autumn, with people advised to dig out warm winter clothes
  • Tonight's temperature could be as low as 19F in Scotland and there's a risk of ice on Monday in North East

-7C in Scotland. I'm off to make a hot cup of tea! Wonder if @Zenj would come back to SNOWFLAKES in the NE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm the opposite, just been complaining to hubs how hot I am.....now wearing a t-shirt! We've only got the heating on in the small lounge, kitchen and the landing upstairs, suppose to have a low of -1 tonght...so our local news programme has just said.

Did some laundry this afternoon and the washing machine made an awful clunking noise and died, thankfully at the end of the cycle.:(
We have a 2nd one in the garage so will have to use that until we either repair or replace it.

Have a restful evening :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello been out today to the GC's but no bargains to be had no bulbs on offer (n) I still picked a few bulbs up white muscari - prepared daffs and some Ranunculus and a pot for my indoor cyclamen.

Lots of salt and grit on the road so had to give the bike a wash, think that be it this year for the bike I am not into winter riding / freezing to death. Had a very little dusting with snow on the cars yesterday, some of the dahlia's are hanging on but been nipped by the frost I reckon they be black tomorrow, took some cut flowers for the house one with dahlia's / salvia and other bits and another of roses loads of buds shame to lose them. Took some cutting of salvia Black and blue and fuchsia blacky.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening @Perki , sounds like you've been busy today!!
We've had rain on and off all day....so it was household chores for me .
Our Dahlias are still OK despite 0C the other night , tonight is set to be 0C again but local TV says it could go down to -1. We shall see.:unsure:
Enjoy whats left of your evening:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dusting already, @Perki ! My lean to only registers 9c and that means probaly 4-5c outside. The candle is still burning in the lean to, so it has been burning for 24 hours. That probably raise the temperature in their a bit.

Talking about bargains! Got a thuja spiral for £10. The woman at the check out told my son that the price was too cheap and next time, and should probably require manager's approval. I wished I had got it when the other man got 2 for £10 each and saved my son the aggro. Now I have a pair to flank my patio door. The fragrant rose had to go as the buds failed to open there. Need somewhere with a bit of prolonged warmth and sunshine. Soon, there will be no need to go there :cry:as there would be nothing but Christmas trees. Already, the area was half cleared for the conifers!

I am pretty sure my dahlias should be OK and I will stop deadheading in the hope of harvesting some seeds. I hope they sit tight for these few nights, tonight included. They germinated despite the hard frost a year ago as they had some transparent protective sheaths. Nature is indeed amazing!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2018-10-29_6-21-36.png

Doesn't look like a bad day!

Coldest October days for a decade as Arctic blast brings snow and a three-day cold snap with temperatures plunging to just 19F

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning! :D
Nippy night here, it's reached 1C out there now that the sun is showing it's face, our high is 9C too.We should be having wall to wall sunshine from 8am to 4pm...hmmmm.....not sure if we will have a BBQ though!:LOL::ROFLMAO: Tomorrow is only reaching 8C:(

No plans yet, so much to do in ours and my Dad's garden don't know what to do first really.......still pondering!:unsure::unsure:

Have a good day :)(y)

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning! :D
Nippy night here, it's reached 1C out there now that the sun is showing it's face, our high is 9CC too.We should be having wall to wall sunshine from 8am to 4pm...hmmmm.....not sure if we will have a BBQ though!:LOL::ROFLMAO: Tomorrow is only reaching 8C:(

No plans yet, so much to do in ours and my Dad's garden don't know what to do first really.......still pondering!:unsure::unsure:

Have a good day :)(y)

You will NEED the BBQ! What a fab idea! Shame I haven't got an area for BBQ now. Wall to wall sunshine will lift the temperature. Yesterday, I was hot in the garden when the sun was out. Took off my top and the sunshine was off straight away! I slept so well after 4 hours in the hellebore patch. I will have to go out again. Have a nice day, everyone!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning nice and sunny here after the frost looked like it had snowed everything were so white, my dahlia's / canna have been blacked :cry::cry::cry: Winter COMING :eek:. Need to start packing thing up now and get them bulbs planted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi back to you alp. Your yard looks wonderful! And you have been hiding it from me all this time. Everything is asleep in my yard, the sun is not quite up yet but when I get home from feeding birds I'll show you how dull it looks and of course I must show you my new snow blower, it's the best looking thing in my backyard right now.lol
No snow but it won't be long until we get the real deep freezing.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi back to you alp. Your yard looks wonderful! And you have been hiding it from me all this time. Everything is asleep in my yard, the sun is not quite up yet but when I get home from feeding birds I'll show you how dull it looks and of course I must show you my new snow blower, it's the best looking thing in my backyard right now.lol
No snow but it won't be long until we get the real deep freezing.

Hi! Big Hi to you, John! I was so ashamed of the mess and it is still messy:banghead::inpain:, covered with wood barks now and I am still ashamed of it. The bark chips are hiding some of the uneven grounds. Oh, dear! I wish I had known the words GARDEN DESIGN instead of plonking plants wherever there is a hole!

Do upload your snow blower please! You know I'm nosy and moany! Hehe! Yes, it will be so cold for you and we moan like no tomorrow when it is 0c.

Been out for 2 hours digging and planting the hellebores, again! I missed the descriptive, boring! How boring I have been. Sound like a groundhog day!

So glad someone is coming to take some Salvia Amistad cuttings from me. They had to be stored in the workshop where there is very little light and they have become anaemic! Poor things. They were glorious. This lady drives from London to Suffolk and will stop by to get the plants. Gee, what a journey! She works in London and I hope she is lecturer of some sort and doesn't have to commute daily like this!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Now I have seen the man toy, @johnny canoe ! Brilliant! Thank heavens you don't have children! How can you spoil Mr Woodpecker like that! Mind you, if there were one like that around and would come near me like that, I wouldn't mind holding the suet block for it for some photos! Lovely birds, nosy and full of character! Lovely pics, John!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cut down most of the dahlia's when I got back they still need lifting but clocks going back doesn't help nearly pitch black at 5.30pm . Emptied most other pots of bedding plants all put onto the pile for shredding later , I might put them through the wood chipper or mow them.

Made plans for Spring pots for next year and I don't have enough bulbs. I been holding out for cheap bulbs to be sold off for to long, most places have sold out now or they don't have the bulbs I want. Now I am having to buy them online for more £££ than I would of payed if I picked them up in August / septmeber o_O. I was only planning on get some white tahlia daffs and some muscari, now I am over budget with a expensive long list of bulbs I wasn't planning on getting :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question